What Victor is this?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Bruce
Victor III

What Victor is this?

Post by Bruce »

A local collector has come across this beauty nearby, possessed by the grand daughter of the original owner.

The id plate refers to E352 but I have not been able to find any reference to this model.

Any ideas?

Bruce
Attachments
Victrola Unknown (1).jpg
Victrola Unknown (5).jpg
Victrola Unknown (6).jpg
Victrola Unknown (4).jpg
Victrola Unknown (3).jpg
Victrola Unknown (2).jpg

EarlH
Victor III

Re: What Victor is this?

Post by EarlH »

I think the "E" would mean Electrola so that much makes sense. It's interesting that they didn't want a Radio/Electrola if they were going to spend money on a customized cabinet. Sure is nice looking. It looks like the chassis you see in the RE series in the late 20's early 30's.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Custom/period model cabinet? Looks like an Adam style.

Bill

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

What a great cabinet!

Has something been changed or swapped out here? Looks like the motor board is not wide enough, leaving a gap on the left. Missing a record bin? The missing screws make me wonder as well.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

I think that could at least in part be a E-35, though I don't know why the ID has E-352 and I have never seen a picture of one. The E-35 (phonograph) and the R-32 (radio) were the non-combo versions of the RE-45 and RE-75. The fact that door and its wrap around design, plus the metal hold-down threads used to secure the cabinet in the original crate tells me it's a Victor design. Clearly the light and the motor board indicate a non-original situation. The Electrola logo is Victor and not RCA Victor, right? Maybe this is a prototype or a Special model. Sure like to see what a E-35 looks like. Here's the others:
Attachments
IMG_2397.PNG

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Here is what an E-135 looks like. Not sure I ever saw or heard of an E-35.
Attachments
RCA Victor E-35 electronics.JPG
RCA Victor E-35 open .JPG

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

From the RCA Service Data Manual:
Attachments
IMG_2404.PNG

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

I am not sure there ever was an E-35. The only reference I have ever seen is in the RCA red books which may have inadvertently listed the E-135 as the E-35. The schematic listed as an E-35 matches the E-135. The old notes in at the RCA consumer electronics facility did list the E-135 but did not list an E-35. And the E-135 which does exist was not included in the Red books. Until some other reference to the E-35 surfaces I would argue that the Red books were done sometime in the early 1930's and the schematic for the E-35 was really the E-135 and incorrectly listed in the 1923-1928 book. Where the R-32/RE-45 did not show up until the 1929-1930 book.

The cabinet of Electrola shown above looks like it was based on an R-52 design. I have seen this pattern on the doors of this cabinet somewhere but I can't remember where. What is interesting is that the cable coming out of the amp does not match the E-135 cable. It would be interesting to know if there is a load resistor on this E-352 sample.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

JerryVan wrote:What a great cabinet!

Has something been changed or swapped out here? Looks like the motor board is not wide enough, leaving a gap on the left. Missing a record bin? The missing screws make me wonder as well.
Is it missing a grille as well? That speaker cloth looks rather naked for an art case like this.

Bill

alaine bastow
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Electrolia E1522124

Post by alaine bastow »

The number on the electrola should be E152 not E352