Will any 78 rpm record play on an old crank style phonograph

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Buck
Victor Jr

Will any 78 rpm record play on an old crank style phonograph

Post by Buck »

I inherited a Brunswick #12 phonograph and have lots of records but no Christmas music. I'm looking at a Decca 10" 78 rpm, 2 sided record from the 1940's. Will this work on my phonograph?

CDBPDX
Victor V
Personal Text: A Hobbyist Specializing in Sales and Repair of Spring Motor Phonographs

Re: Will any 78 rpm record play on an old crank style phonog

Post by CDBPDX »

As long as you have a new needle, it should play without damaging the record. The steel needles need to be replaced very frequently, no more than 2-3 plays per needle, though it is recommended to change the needle after every play.

Enjoy your record!
Cliff's Vintage Music Shoppe, Castle Rock, WA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIz_IpaVrW8

Buck
Victor Jr

Post by Buck »

Thank you for the reply! Yes, I do have new needles and change them after every play.

Buck
Victor Jr

Post by Buck »

Well, Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" is on it's way. Had a choice between one for $10.00 and the same record for $700.00. It was a tough decision but I went with the one for $10.00. $700.00 dollars? Really?

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Not quite the same record, maybe. White Christmas was recorded twice by Bing for Decca in 78 era. First in 1942, and then remade around 1947, because the popularity of the '42 record wore out the metal master from overuse. They had to recut it.

But neither ought to be worth $ 700.00. :D

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Not ANY 78: very late recordings from the '50s are sometimes pressed in vinyl, which cannot stand the weight of an acoustic reproducer.

Discs from the acoustic and early electric era (say, up to the 1930s) contain abrasive filler, meant to shape the needle tip to fit the groove: after the introduction of light weight pickups, these fillers were abandoned. Most collectors do not play the later discs on acoustic machines; although acoustic portables were still produced for many years.

If you have any especially rare and valuable recording, best not to play it on vintage equipment.

Bill

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

You shouldn't play vinyl 78's on a wind up machine,nor should you play Vogue picture records on a wind up.The tone arm would cut in.edisonplayer

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I'll also add that many later 78's, while they may still be shellac and therefore should not be damaged by playing on an acoustic machine, may sound terrible. Earlier acoustic phonograph reproducers do seem to be able to handle the volume and frequency range that later records can deliver. The result is distortion and blasting. Orthophonic era acoustics do rather well however. If your Brunswick has the Ultona style reproducer it may also do o.k., by virtue of its large diaphragm.

Buck
Victor Jr

Post by Buck »

This is a shellac record so hopefully it will play O.K. My Brunswick does have the Ultona reproducer so we'll see how it sounds. Thanks for the replies. I'm slowly learning about these machines and this site has been a lot of help.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

If you haven't see it, here's an online Brunswick Ultona manual -- http://www.nipperhead.com/old/brult.htm (click on thumbnail images for viewing or printing). It shows you how to properly set the Untona tonearm & built-in counterweight for playing various records.

OrthoFan