Unlevel Turntable Problem

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Unlevel Turntable Problem

Post by oldphonographsteve »

I am having a bit of a conundrum with my Victrola XVI. The turntable is slightly unlevel and I cannot figure out why. The motor was a little loose so I screwed it back into place on the motor board tightly enough, or so I think. Do turntables get warped? I have posted pictures of the spindle. Are there supposed to be two rods sticking out of the spindle, or just one? I have seen another XVI, the exact same type as mine, with the same looking spindle having only one rod. Any help would be very much appreciated.

-Stephen
Attachments
image3.jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg
xvi spindle.jpeg

12jslater
Victor II

Re: Unlevel Turntable Problem

Post by 12jslater »

Do you mean that the turntable has some up and down movement when rotating or do you mean that it looks as if the turntable is running true but just tilting to one side?

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I have the same problem with my Victrola IX. I don't believe it does much for the playback, but as long as it isn't by a whole lot. That machine sounds just fine. I can't think of any way to fix it, but if it's a big issue there are plenty of turntables still out there.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II

12jslater wrote:Do you mean that the turntable has some up and down movement when rotating or do you mean that it looks as if the turntable is running true but just tilting to one side?
The turntable has some up and down movement. I've even shaken the turntable while it was stationary and it has a little too much give.
GregVTLA wrote:I have the same problem with my Victrola IX. I don't believe it does much for the playback, but as long as it isn't by a whole lot. That machine sounds just fine. I can't think of any way to fix it, but if it's a big issue there are plenty of turntables still out there.
It is only slight, but it doesn't seem good for the records as I can hear a slight difference in tone as the turntable wobbles up and down. I would prefer to figure out how to fix it since the turntable I have has pristine and unfaded original felt.

-Stephen

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Try placing a bit of shim between the spindle shaft and the turntable hub. Maybe a strip of cellophane.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II

JerryVan wrote:Try placing a bit of shim between the spindle shaft and the turntable hub. Maybe a strip of cellophane.
That is a good idea! I will try it once I get my hands on some.

-Stephen

EarlH
Victor III

Post by EarlH »

Sometimes rotating it a half turn will help that condition out as well.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II

So I tried the cellophane and no matter which way I put it on the spindle or the underside of the turntable it either got stuck on it or remained just as unlevel. I also tried rotating it, that also was unsuccessful. I finally wiggled the spindle itself and found that it has quite a bit more give than the other machines I have, so I took out the motor. I should mention that the motor was VERY loose when I bought the machine two years ago, as in the turntable would bob up and down significantly while cranking. I tightened the screws, but maybe something is still loose? Also, the rubber that separates the motor from the motor board looks fishy. Are these rubber washers original? Besides this I honestly am at a loss as to what I should be looking for here, so I have attached pictures of the motor, spindle, and rubber washers. Thanks to all the kind members who posted and helped so far!

-Stephen
Attachments
my xvi motor.jpeg
my xvi motor spindle.jpeg
my xvi motor rubber.jpeg

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

I just got a Victrola X, and it had the exact same problem. It has to do with the pin on either side of the spindle. Mine had one side broken off, which caused the wobble. It looks as if yours has the same issue. I drilled it out and replaced it with a nail. Still waiting to test it, I'll update you but I'm pretty sure this is the issue

oldphonographsteve
Victor II

GregVTLA wrote:I just got a Victrola X, and it had the exact same problem. It has to do with the pin on either side of the spindle. Mine had one side broken off, which caused the wobble. It looks as if yours has the same issue. I drilled it out and replaced it with a nail. Still waiting to test it, I'll update you but I'm pretty sure this is the issue
I'm not so certain about that since all of my Victrolas from the 1912 - 1915 period are like that, and the only one that has turntable wobble is this particular machine. Perhaps your spindle is bent slightly? Perhaps mine is bent? I hope not... :shock:

-Stephen