A few questions on HMV 162

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Re: A few questions on HMV 162

Post by soundgen »

phonodesbois wrote:You're certainly right, the machine must have been converted from spring to electric power at some point of time.
Nevertheless, I'm curious to know if there are other machines with a label stating 162 ac...
Why would an HMV 162 be labelled as an HMV 162ac ? It is clearly an original label , it was probably made to order for someone who wanted an electric motor machine and the French Company put the Thorens motor in , can anyone date the Thorens motor ? Is it an ac motor ? Is the motor board a replacement ? WHY HMV 162ac ? It makes no sense unless this was meant to be electrified , why would HMV's French subsidiary put ac on an ordinary 162 ?

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

soundgen wrote: Why would an HMV 162 be labelled as an HMV 162ac ? It is clearly an original label , it was probably made to order for someone who wanted an electric motor machine and the French Company put the Thorens motor in , can anyone date the Thorens motor ? Is it an ac motor ? Is the motor board a replacement ? WHY HMV 162ac ? It makes no sense unless this was meant to be electrified , why would HMV's French subsidiary put ac on an ordinary 162 ?
Well, the label is original, the Thorens motor is ac and the motor board looks original too; other than that I have no clues...

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

"the Thorens motor is ac! Ipso facto the whole thing is original the motor installed by the French company :D wired up through the winding handle hole ? can you photo the hole and female insert ?

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

More pics, including the female plug and the connecting wire with 2 male plugs (without neither EEC Certificate of Conformity nor UL approval...)
Jeff
Attachments
DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG
20171212_175250.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

phonodesbois wrote:More pics, including the female plug and the connecting wire with 2 male plugs (without neither EEC Certificate of Conformity nor UL approval...)
Jeff
Unfortunately new photos say remotored :( So motorboard must be a replacement

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

soundgen wrote:
phonodesbois wrote:More pics, including the female plug and the connecting wire with 2 male plugs (without neither EEC Certificate of Conformity nor UL approval...)
Jeff

Why does the motor board have to be a replacement? Isn't it possible that Thorens made a motor to fit-up with the existing hole pattern of an HMV 162? Is that very original looking label on the underside of the motor board, or elsewhere?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JerryVan wrote:
soundgen wrote:
Jeff

Why does the motor board have to be a replacement? Isn't it possible that Thorens made a motor to fit-up with the existing hole pattern of an HMV 162? Is that very original looking label on the underside of the motor board, or elsewhere?
There are no holes on the motor board where an HMV speed control, would have been fitted . the pictures of the connecting wire plugs show they have been rather botched on fitting !

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Sorry, the last pics I posted were misleading.
They show a portion of the right panel of the gramophone, where normally is the winding hole; two show the plug from the outside and the third one from the inside (motor board removed to take the pic).
jerryvan wrote:Is that very original looking label on the underside of the motor board, or elsewhere?
The label is at the bottom of the gramophone so well below the motor board.

bulleid_pacific
Victor Jr

Post by bulleid_pacific »

Pretty dangerous to have two male plugs on an AC lead. I don't think even in the late 20's a commercial organisation like EMI would have done that..... Looks loke a home conversion to me.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

bulleid_pacific wrote:Pretty dangerous to have two male plugs on an AC lead. I don't think even in the late 20's a commercial organisation like EMI would have done that..... Looks loke a home conversion to me.
That sort of fitting was not unusual on player pianos with electric motors - and equally dangerous