Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Labels

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Labels

Post by JerryVan »

Can anyone tell me how many "Potato Head" discs were made?
Not the total number of records, but the total number titles/matrices.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (18.71 KiB) Viewed 1872 times

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Paul Whiteman "Potato Head" Labels

Post by gramophone-georg »

JerryVan wrote:Can anyone tell me how many "Potato Head" discs were made?
132 matrices, not counting take numbers. This includes the 12" semi classical "Concert" series discs.

Particularly hard to find are two of the final ones which are Potato Head on one side only with Ben Selvin on the flip.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

I really like this label. I can remember playing my grandfather's copy of "Get out and get under the Moon". Happily I have been able to find a copy recently, and it brings back memories :)

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

oldstuff wrote:I really like this label. I can remember playing my grandfather's copy of "Get out and get under the Moon". Happily I have been able to find a copy recently, and it brings back memories :)
It's a great record. The Hal Kemp version isn't too shabby, either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7K34SmBE7A

oldstuff
Victor Jr

Post by oldstuff »

I just realised mine is a bit different. My potato head labels say made in Australia, and the pairing is different for the 2 sides. Flip side of "Get out and get under the moon" on mine is "Evening Star", whereas a web site I am looking at says it was "Constantinople" elsewhere.

Another Potato head label I have is "Chiquita" and the flip side is "Blue Night", not "Lonesome in the moonlight" as in the listing I found.

Also, I have a few other Whiteman recordings on various labels, such as Maroon HMV and Green Zonophone labels. I suppose these are older stuff?

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

oldstuff wrote:I just realised mine is a bit different. My potato head labels say made in Australia, and the pairing is different for the 2 sides. Flip side of "Get out and get under the moon" on mine is "Evening Star", whereas a web site I am looking at says it was "Constantinople" elsewhere.

Another Potato head label I have is "Chiquita" and the flip side is "Blue Night", not "Lonesome in the moonlight" as in the listing I found.

Also, I have a few other Whiteman recordings on various labels, such as Maroon HMV and Green Zonophone labels. I suppose these are older stuff?
Ah, yes... Aussies are different.

Whiteman actually recorded for Victor (HMV) twice- before and after the Columbia years which were May 1928 through September 1930.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gramophone-georg wrote:
132 matrices, not counting take numbers. This includes the 12" semi classical "Concert" series discs.

Particularly hard to find are two of the final ones which are Potato Head on one side only with Ben Selvin on the flip.

Thanks!! Merry Christmas!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

JerryVan wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:

Thanks!! Merry Christmas!
Same to you!

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

I believe that I have a few 12 records with this label if any of you guys are interested.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hailey wrote:I believe that I have a few 12 records with this label if any of you guys are interested.
Ufff... I'd love to have a copy of melancholy baby and the man I love on potato label, if it was issued in this form. But I live in Madrid Spain, so shipping would be very expensive for only one record. My copy of this record is a Spanish issue on the Spanish Regal label. A very interesting copy for historic reasons. Columbia label in Spain was a very different Enterprise from the European labels. It was created by an impresario who made the arrangements with British and American Columbia in 1923 to issue their records in Spain. But the arrangement was done so American Columbia retained the rights for the use of the name Columbia in Spain and our agent should use the brand Regal instead. This Record is Regal RS series, one of the very first numbers in 12 inches. So very interesting. My copy was badly warped, and the sound was not very good. But recently I got a new Stanton 78 stylus with which the record sounds surprisingly good. It was a great surprise.

Inigo.
Inigo