Columbia Eclipse restoration help (skeptical reproducer)

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
JohnS24
Victor Jr
Personal Text: New, seeking help with some projects

Columbia Eclipse restoration help (skeptical reproducer)

Post by JohnS24 »

I've been working on a Columbia Eclipse for a couple of weeks.
The main issue is that as soon as the tone arm is put down the record slows and stops even at full wind, but if I put it in the middle or towards the end it plays just fine. I was doing some research on the model and the reproducer on the ones I saw did not have the same one as I had, I was wondering if the reproducer was meant for a later machine that had a more powerful spring motor (mine is a single spring) and is too heavy? Or I might just be in denial because I really don't want to take the spring out to clean and re-grease it.

The Current Reproducer
The current reproducer
The current reproducer
The one I saw Commonly on this model
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG (16.35 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks!!!

JohnS24
Victor Jr
Personal Text: New, seeking help with some projects

Re: Columbia Eclipse restoration help (skeptical reproducer)

Post by JohnS24 »

So I just played a victor foxtrot record c1920 all the way through without issue but when a I put a Columbia of the same time period it has the slowing problem.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

I don't think the problem is with your machine, the problem is likely a worn record. I have several Columbia records that slow down when being played due to their being worn. The extra drag on the needle causes the record to slow down.

Stephen

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

I had the same problem with my Sonora reproducer. Having the springs serviced and wound up well solved the problem. Funny thing, it was only problem when I played Columbia Viva Tonal records. The Victor electrics played just fine.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."