Original Varnish Transfers c1930 Instructions for use

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Varnish Transfers

1) Apply a thin coat of Varnish to the wood that the transfer is to be fixed on.

2) When the Varnish has become tacky place the entire transfer in the required position. ( If only part of the transfer is required the transfer can easily be cut and altered , from the front picture which is aligned exactly to the transfer behind )

3) Allow Varnish to set overnight.

4) Remove thick outer protective paper to reveal thin rice paper underneath.

5) Soak the rice paper in tepid water for a few minutes and then remove the rice paper revealing the transfer.

6) Varnish over the transfer to protect it. ( Before varnishing the transfers can be darkened with wood stain and also "aged" if required using very fine wire wool )

* steps 1 to 3 can be replaced with care by applying an adhesive to the back of the transfer covering the whole of the aluminium foil backing, and placing in position, allow the adhesive to set and then go to step 4 , this adhesive procedure is illustrated by the group of transfer pictures shown below

1) aluminium foil back to the transfer

2) Coat the aluminium foil evenly and thinly with adhesive

3) Place transfer in position allow the adhesive to set for a while ( Depending on the type of adhesive used ) and peel off thick outer paper

4) This reveals the thin absorbent rice paper underneath

5) Soak the the rice paper in tepid water

Remove the rice paper to expose the transfer in place

6) The transfer can now be varnished over to protect it

to see the pictures go to http://soundgenpics8.blogspot.co.uk/200 ... sfers.html

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: Original Varnish Transfers c1930 Instructions for use

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Mike, what do you mean exactly with "varnish"? Shellac in alcohol? I ignore if decals where made with different materials back then, however, in my experience, decals are melted/destroyed by any kind of solvent. There is a vast literature about what to do in order to preserve them, if they have to be covered by a protective layer of transparent paint/varnish/enamel. Nothing works well in every case, and even specific products used in model crafting are prone to give problems quite often.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:Mike, what do you mean exactly with "varnish"? Shellac in alcohol? I ignore if decals where made with different materials back then, however, in my experience, decals are melted/destroyed by any kind of solvent. There is a vast literature about what to do in order to preserve them, if they have to be covered by a protective layer of transparent paint/varnish/enamel. Nothing works well in every case, and even specific products used in model crafting are prone to give problems quite often.
a Varnish Decal is made in an entirely different way than the typical water slide decal & is intended to be sealed under a finish.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Well, I hope so... ;)

I still have to come across a "varnish decal", however. Whenever I needed to use a reproduction decal, whatever the item for which the decal was inteded, it was always, solely and invariably a water decal.