Rapke Horn Crane Completed...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Rapke Horn Crane Completed...

Post by Curt A »

There have been several threads related to the vertical Rapke horn crane, which caught my interest.
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ne#p168830
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... ne#p162343

Recently, I obtained a Rapke foot on eBay and decided to see if I could duplicate the crane assembly based on the patent drawings. A friend of mine helped with the turning of two brass parts, which make up the horn spider necessary to hold the horn in a vertical position along with a brass connector which changes the angle of the crane rod and chain. The spider arms are cut and bent to fit the diameter of the bell and made from ⅛" steel rod. As shown, two arms are stationary and one is threaded for adjustment with a knurled nut, which allows for easy removal. The crane can also be configured to hold the horn in a normal horizontal position if desired. Through trial and error, I found that this foot works best on Columbia machines like the BE or BF because of the molding profile... it will work on an Edison, but there is not much overhang for it to grip.

Between these two parts, parts from an original horn crane, a spring, some ⅜" steel rod for extensions and some small eye bolts sourced from Lowes, I was able to assemble a vertical crane which closely mimics the patent drawing. The only change in the plans was the rod connector, since the patent drawing was overly complex and unnecessary to hold the crane rod at the proper angle... Below are pics of the completed crane and some close ups of the various components.

By the way, it works very well by directing the sound upward toward the ceiling you don't experience the loud harsh sound that is sometimes experienced standing closely in front of an unmuted horn. The horn on my machine is a 24" long witches hat that has a diameter of 14" at the bell...

As per usual, click on the pics to view them in the proper orientation...
Attachments
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1603.JPG
IMG_1604.JPG
IMG_1605.JPG
IMG_1606.JPG
IMG_1608.JPG
IMG_1609.JPG
IMG_1610.JPG
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.42.22 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 10.46.57 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Rapke Horn Crane Completed...

Post by Curt A »

Here is the complete patent drawing...
Attachments
US855978-0.png

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

A very nice job! Wow, if collectors that are out of room had a bunch of these think how many outside horn cylinder machines with large horns could be added! It saves lots of room.

The machine looks terrific.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Good job Curt Looks fantastic. When are you going to start mass producing. The bottom mount looks like it only goes under the case by two inches. I am curious will different crane bases hold the rod??? Tom

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Really great job. When I saw these advertised in Talking Machine World I was amazed. I've never heard of any surviving. This recreation is a wonder.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

I think the crane could be used with other feet and would work well with a cygnet horn bracket if you didn’t have a cygnet horn...

My Wife

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

Very cool Curt, great work. Thanks for sharing!
Vince
Youtube

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

The Handel leaded glass shade above my table has a sort of phonograph related history. I bought it in Saugatuck, Michigan in the 1970s and we used it for many years. For the last 20+ years it was boxed up in the garage. Last fall, when I found the Type G Perfected Graphophone in Tennessee, I discovered that the guy who had it collected lamps... So, I thought I would use it as a partial trade. I got it out of the garage and was taking a picture of it when my wife asked what I was doing. I said I was going to use it as a partial trade for a phonograph and she said "NO, I always liked that lamp". When I told the guy what she said, he almost backed out of the deal and he was really upset. "Luckily" the next week a car crashed into his building causing major damage and now he needed the money. So, in the end, he sold it to me and my wife made me hang up the lamp... :lol:

My Wife

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

:lol: Thank goodness for that car crash!
Vince
Youtube