How do I remove this "Mystery Glue"?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
steambc
Victor Jr

How do I remove this "Mystery Glue"?

Post by steambc »

Hey Guys,

I just removed the felt from my VV-IX platter, and I need to prepare the surface for the new felt.

I now have a platter covered in "Mystery Glue", and I'd like to know best practice for removing it. Could this be Hide Glue? Whatever it is, could you folks please guide me in safely removing it without damaging the platter?

I don't know if proper procedure would involve a solvent of some kind, or abrasion. Of course I'm also concerned about maintaining platter balance, although perhaps that's not super-critical judging by the glue that has pooled randomly in the indentations.

Thank you for your help!
Platter wide.JPG
Platter closeup.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: How do I remove this "Mystery Glue"?

Post by JerryVan »

A sanding block and 80 grit sandpaper. Or, a wire wheel. Just don't scratch the outer rim. Or, just try soaking it in water. It's probably hide glue, which I think is water soluble. No harm trying it anyway.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Soak it in warm to hot water. Hide glue will dissolve, and water will help any other glue lose its grip on the metal. One other possibility would be shellac, which would of course yield to solvent.

steambc
Victor Jr

Post by steambc »

I tried hot water and Acetone (separately, of course), neither of which had any effect whatsoever.

I'm thinking it can't be hide glue, as hide would at least show some sign of softening. I think I'm going to be forced to use an abrasive method to get it off. I'll use a block and use incrementally finer grits in order to avoid leaving the platter scratched. If course I won't make it polished-smooth as the new glue will need to get some bite.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

steambc wrote:I tried hot water and Acetone (separately, of course), neither of which had any effect whatsoever.

I'm thinking it can't be hide glue, as hide would at least show some sign of softening. I think I'm going to be forced to use an abrasive method to get it off. I'll use a block and use incrementally finer grits in order to avoid leaving the platter scratched. If course I won't make it polished-smooth as the new glue will need to get some bite.
Don't worry about scratching the turn table. It will be hidden by the felt and will give something for the glue to adhere to.

Mr Grumpy
Victor III

Post by Mr Grumpy »

If it's shellac the best solvent would be alcohol.
Vince
Youtube

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Mr Grumpy wrote:If it's shellac the best solvent would be alcohol.

I too have found alcohol to be a good solvent, especially bourbon.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

You could try a little lighter fluid (think Zippo). It works good on adhesives used on some paper labels.

NOT for shellac.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

steambc
Victor Jr

Post by steambc »

Thanks all for your suggestions. It can't be shellac as alcohol has no effect. Could be the lighter fluid might do it, but at this point I think I'm going to just sand it off. This stuff is hard as a rock. I wonder if it's some kind of varnish. At any rate, I'll do a careful job and make sure I don't scratch the sides. Thanks again everyone. My replacement felt is already cut and fits well so I anticipate a successful application once I get that glue off.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have had great success using a wire wheel, either attached to a grinder motor or a hand held grinder... it won't hurt the turntable and will be easier and faster than sanding.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife