The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Automatic reproducer volume
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 am 
Victor III
I was playing a cylinder on my standard two latch with a automatic reproducer and I could not get a high volume . I Tried three other automatics and the volume was about the same some a little louder one had less volume... A C- reproducer had higher volume. Are most automatic reproducers low volume or do they need rebuilt. ??? Tom B

Post subject: Re: Automatic reproducer volume
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:28 am 
Victor IV
tomb wrote:
I was playing a cylinder on my standard two latch with a automatic reproducer and I could not get a high volume . I Tried three other automatics and the volume was about the same some a little louder one had less volume... A C- reproducer had higher volume. Are most automatic reproducers low volume or do they need rebuilt. ??? Tom B

They have their own quite severe limitations. Mica Monster came up with a good solution for mine with a reproducer gasket he made.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 am 
Victor III
Automatic reproducers have a significantly lighter weight than most later reproducers. This is why an Automatic is highly recommended for brown wax cylinders. It is much more gentle to the groove. Because the elliptical doorknob stylus can be quite rough on a record, I usually avoid a C reproducer even on black wax.

Differences within Automatic reproducer series can be also caused by different diaphragms. Even back then, glass diaphragms were made in different grades of thickness, which can make a world of difference. I haven't tried MicaMonster's tuning methods myself yet but he definitely knows what he is doing and has come up with some incredible results on other reproducers as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:27 pm 
Victor III
WDC wrote:
Automatic reproducers have a significantly lighter weight than most later reproducers. This is why an Automatic is highly recommended for brown wax cylinders. It is much more gentle to the groove. Because the elliptical doorknob stylus can be quite rough on a record, I usually avoid a C reproducer even on black wax.

Differences within Automatic reproducer series can be also caused by different diaphragms. Even back then, glass diaphragms were made in different grades of thickness, which can make a world of difference. I haven't tried MicaMonster's tuning methods myself yet but he definitely knows what he is doing and has come up with some incredible results on other reproducers as well.

Thanks for the information. I only have a couple of brown wax which will be played using the automatic reproducer. I was thinking of sending in a couple to Steve Medved for rebuilding. That may increase the output. I am not handy with rebuilding items with small parts any more. Tom