Phonographs in Movies...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Phonographs in Movies...

Post by Lucius1958 »

neilmack wrote:An episode of the Avengers TV series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbN2dC3SSU from 1966 has a mere six machines in one scene.

And yes, that is Dr Who pretending to be a military man.
I remember that episode! :D

Alas, they don't have the clip where he's narrating his experiences, while the machines around him are playing sound effects...

Bill

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Few iconic frames of Fitzcarraldo's gramophone.

As a kid, that movie had an obvious impact on me: the gramophone is almost a deuteragonist of Kinski.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Lucius1958 wrote:
neilmack wrote:An episode of the Avengers TV series https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbN2dC3SSU from 1966 has a mere six machines in one scene.

And yes, that is Dr Who pretending to be a military man.
I remember that episode! :D

Alas, they don't have the clip where he's narrating his experiences, while the machines around him are playing sound effects...

Bill
You do have a good memory! I think that there is another machine, making seven, which Pertwee goes up to at the end of the clip, to start letting off his sound effects.

In an earlier episode (Death at bargain Prices) Andre Morrell is sharing a flat with what seems to be unsold shop stock - including two horn gramophones, and a cylinder phonograph which he is playing http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwlwph ... shortfilms 10:30 onward

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had a couple scenes where HMV portables were featured. One was a lovely blue HMV 102? and the other was a 101? with an odd reproducer.
Attachments
517.jpg
806.jpg

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

There is a VV-50 which plays a prominent role in Bicentennial Man with the late Robin Williams. I think his scanner correctly identifies it as such as well at the outset.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Nanook of the North, a 1922 documentary, at around 12min:45sec, shows civilized man creating big impression on primitive native by reproducing sound on a gramophone. Seems to be a Columbia Eclipse, but picture is too fuzzy to be certain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4kOIzMqso0

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I have gotten hooked on the free old movies on You Tube. I have noticed a number of phonographs in some of them but failed to write the title down. However last night I watched a rather powerful movie called "Seance On A Wet Afternoon" from 1968 or so. Its a British Movie and has a number of scenes with one of those larger horns that look like there attached to a table model phonograph. This one it exits on the side away from the crank and raises quite far above the machine. It plays a part in the movie as the woman in the script goes back to it frequently. If I knew how to move a photo of it from the movie I would post it here but don't! From the autos in the movie it appears to be a rather late time period and I would guess toward the end of the europeans holding on to their mechanical sound reproduction.

Larry

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Reviving an old thread here. I watched a French movie today (made for TV) on Youtube -- "Mystère au Louvre." Overall pretty entertaining, and (I thought for a while) fairly good at recreating an historic time. There's one scene that is essentially a throwaway -- in no way essential to the plot -- in which a character prepares a glass of absinthe. The production designers did an amazing job, actually coming up with a very rare original fountain rather than a replica, and an original 19th century glass. Thumbs up for that.

But-- in a later scene there's a crapophone playing, with the reproducer on the wrong side of the record and the turntable wobbling ridiculously. As if that weren't bad enough, the scene was set in 1885. :roll:

At the end of the movie the main protagonists drive off in an early brass-era French car. It's clearly early, pre-1910, but most definitely NOT 1885!!

Ugh. Other than that, I enjoyed it.
Attachments
louvre.png

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I told you: crap-os are just everywhere! :D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

:lol:

Yes, and that grown-out roots look was very popular for women in 1885! :lol:

George P.