Needle Storage for Open Machines

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: Needle Storage for Open Machines

Post by Django »

alang wrote:Boring old me just use the original black cardboard Victor needle boxes with two or three compartments. I do
Iike your wooden needle dispenser very much. With cats around I would need lids on the needle cups though.

Andreas
This might be an option for those with cats.
Attachments
ink well.jpg
ink well.jpg (46.05 KiB) Viewed 971 times

Retrograde
Victor III

Post by Retrograde »

Django, I really like the one in your initial post, nice chunk of oak there! I have several needle caddies for my outside horn machines that I've made from thick pieces of oak "cut offs" rescued from the trash bin of a local cabinet shop. The cups are from eBay and the discard tins are from Sitko.
:)
Attachments
Needle Caddies
Needle Caddies

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Retrograde wrote:Django, I really like the one in your initial post, nice chunk of oak there! I have several needle caddies for my outside horn machines that I've made from thick pieces of oak "cut offs" rescued from the trash bin of a local cabinet shop. The cups are from eBay and the discard tins are from Sitko.
:)
Nice group, Retrograde. It's not always easy to find the right piece of Oak, so a piece of local birds-eye maple worked for this one. I am not trying to pass them off as anything other that what they are, so there is some freedom that I don't get when restoring. I made one from an old piece of black walnut for one of my daughters. I haven't been brave enough to go for light blue with gold pinstripes yet. :roll: A cabinet for my seven inch Berliners is next. I just have to decide on a design and accumulate some more vintage oak.
Attachments
IMG_0926.JPG

rizbone
Victor III

Post by rizbone »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
Django wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:I use these:
7CA53103-7FEE-44E5-8B50-825776C362B9.jpeg
Very nice. Do these turn up very often?
Not in the US, no. You’ll occasionally find them on eBay UK - they are often a bit pricey though.
How "Pricey" is that? Just curious.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

rizbone wrote:
HisMastersVoice wrote:
Django wrote:
Very nice. Do these turn up very often?
Not in the US, no. You’ll occasionally find them on eBay UK - they are often a bit pricey though.
How "Pricey" is that? Just curious.
I haven't seen one sell for less than £150

I don't know why Victor didn't make something similar (besides the cardboard one). They have 4 compartments: soft, medium, and loud tone needles, and the fourth is a narrow slot to pour out the used needles. You just rotate the top. It's genius, really.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

This is on ebay right now. It is not cheap, but a nice, authentic solution. Not mine, but here is the auction for anyone interested.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Phonograph-Vic ... Ciid%253A1
Attachments
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg