Another newbie question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Another newbie question

Post by Milo Bloom »

I was able to get my machine open tonight and took the attached video of its mechanism. How far off is this from normal and is it common with a basic fix?
Attachments
trim.270D39C7-E47D-40DB-8262-846C4EE5740D.MOV
(10.37 MiB) Downloaded 775 times

Victor VI

Re: Another newbie question

Post by 52089 »

Your motor is gunked up with decades of accumulated grease and oil and is binding frequently. Based on what looks like a start-and-stop problem, there may also be bearings that are too tight and are preventing the mechanism from running smoothly. I would recommend a complete disassembly, grease and oil removal, and reassembly with modern lubricants. At that point you can also adjust the bearings so that everything rotates properly.

Milo Bloom
Victor Jr

Post by Milo Bloom »

Great, thank you. I will aim towards doing that.

semi-related question - I am a little wary when cranking this up because I don't know how far I would go before I over-wind it? Is there an accepted number of rotations, or will I be able to feel when it's fully cranked?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, you will learn the feel as the spring approaches a full winding. But I'd wait until your motor has be degreased and serviced before giving it a good winding.

Jerry Blais

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

...and if you do decide to do the work yourself, be sure to let the motor run down completely so that there's no tension at all in the springs before you start taking things apart.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The arm that runs against the governor and moves the speed indicator needs to pivot freely. I have had these bind up and really affect the operation of the motor.