Can anyone identify this model of Zonophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor O

Can anyone identify this model of Zonophone?

Post by 7309 »

I picked this phonograph up a short while ago and am stumped as to the model. The only thing I know is that it is a Zonophone. It appears to be a front mount. Can anyone help me identify it? The tag attached to the bottom says it originally sold for $35.00. Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
z7.jpg
z7.jpg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
z6.jpg
z6.jpg (73.45 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
z5.jpg
z5.jpg (70.36 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
z4.jpg
z4.jpg (76.53 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
z3.jpg
z3.jpg (83.97 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
z2.jpg
z2.jpg (62.8 KiB) Viewed 2516 times
z1.jpg
z1.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 2516 times

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Can anyone identify this model of Zonophone?

Post by Phonofreak »

I think it is a Zonophone Concert. It looks like it was converted to a rear mount machine by the holes where the decal is.
Harvey Kravitz

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

That was what was throwing me off. I couldn't understand the holes which indicated a rear mount.I guess I will have to see if I can locate the missing parts and bring it back to the original front mounted machine. Do you know about the age of this machine? Thanks for the help.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

If it were my machine, I would restore it as a rear mount. You will have to plug the holes, match the finish and graining. Then you would have to get a new decal. The conversion is part of the history of the machine.
Harvey Kravitz

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

I was reading an article posted on here a few years ago about this model being converted from front to rear mount by the factory in order to sell their front mount machines. It said they put the mount right over the decal. It also said they used regular bolts to mount the bracket which is what I found in one of the holes in the back. That would be consistent with what I have. I'm still going to have to locate a back bracket and tone arm and reproducer. I already have a rear mount zonophone horn. Might be the way to go. I'll have to think about it.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I believe the article you refer to is here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... nderbidder. I remember the machine that initiated that thread. The auction where the Zonophone was sold was a very local auction in a rural area. Didn't get it. But I did get a Zonophone about a month ago with the back bracket right over the decal. I do not think these were early conversions. I believe your machine, mine, and many others left the factory as rear-mount machines. There are so many advantages to this configuration.

By the way, what is the serial number on the bed plate?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I have the same machine and it was a transition machine converted from front mount to rear mount by the factory. It might be difficult to find the correct rear mount hardware, since the horn is an all brass one with the elbow soldered to it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

As far as the horn goes, I have the 24" all brass horn with the soldered on elbow for the rear mount zonophone, however, I will need to locate the rear mount and tone arm for it. If anyone on here can lead me in the right direction to locate these parts I would be very grateful. The serial number on my machine is: 17988 and is stamped on the metal bedplate. What does a correct rear mount look like?

Victor O

Post by 7309 »

I just answered my question on the looks of the rear mount. I checked out the original article mentioned and it has some good pictures. I have the horn that is shown in those pictures but it looks like the back mount may be a challenge. I also need a crank. The one with it is a modified Victor crank that the gentleman who sold me the machine modified to work on the machine.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You've received good advice. Your machine is indeed a Concert, and came from the factory with the back-mount secured over the decal. This is quite common among Zonophones of the 1904/05 period.

Here's a catalog illustration showing the back-mount Concert. Note that the price here is $40.00, but yours is $35.00. I can't explain the discrepancy, but the price must have been raised or lowered during production.

George P.
ConcertZono001.jpg
ConcertZono001.jpg (76.63 KiB) Viewed 2217 times