Stars and Cars

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Stars and Cars

Post by Wolfe »

melvind wrote:
Wolfe wrote:^ Facially the lady resemble Geraldine Farrar, although maybe a little too heavyset.
It is Carso's wife.

Could be Ada Giachetti I suppose, though I don't think it looks that much like her. It's definitely not Dorothy.

Caruso and Giachetti carried on a long affair but were never actually married. Since Martinelli is in the pic, it places the photo a bit later in the Caruso timeline, so that I think it casts doubt on the Caruso / Giachetti affair still existing at the time. If I dug out my Caruso bio, I may find out but I'll leave it to someone else. :)

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

If both were caught doing this today they would be out of their jobs and disgraced for life. The lady would be rich after collecting the money of the sexual harassment lawsuit.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

The photo was taken in the late 'teens. Although I'm not 100% sure, I believe the couple in front of the car may be the soprano Emmy Destinn and the Algerian baritone Dinh Gilly. They were an item for a while at that time.

And btw, this and another photo I've seen of Caruso at the wheel of the same car on the same staircase, was for publicity--Caruso never learned to drive LOL

Steven

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

CarlosV wrote:If both were caught doing this today they would be out of their jobs and disgraced for life. The lady would be rich after collecting the money of the sexual harassment lawsuit.
From the smile on the lady's face I think we can safely assume that the fooling around was consensual. Happy days!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

CarlosV wrote:If both were caught doing this today they would be out of their jobs and disgraced for life. The lady would be rich after collecting the money of the sexual harassment lawsuit.
Not to steer this thread too far off track, so four words suffice - Caruso Monkey House Incident.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Haha yes I was reminded of that also

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Wolfe wrote:Not to steer this thread too far off track, so four words suffice - Caruso Monkey House Incident.

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

That's quite a cute souvenir of what was quite the scandal LOL

zipcord
Victor I

Post by zipcord »

This is a great thread!
Attachments
Hank Williams and his 49 Cadi