Suggestions for Exhibition Needle Bar Repair Please!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Suggestions for Exhibition Needle Bar Repair Please!

Post by Jerry B. »

This is the Exhibition that came with the little Victor 1 that I recently restored. As you can see, the needle bar is only partially there. I'd like to repair the sound box and keep it with the Victor 1. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Jerry Blais
Attachments
IMG_1660.JPG

Bob
Victor II

Re: Suggestions for Exhibition Needle Bar Repair Please!

Post by Bob »

Jerry,

You could unsolder the broken piece from the base and replace it with another. That is if you have another one from a needle bar with other damage.

Bob

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

The easiest and most obvious fix would be to locate a replacement needle bar from one of our trusty parts sources. That's what I would do.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Looking at the adjustment screws and knurled nuts I think this may be a round hole needle bar for which no replacements are available. Therefore I would tend towards trying to repair it, meaning replacing just the broken part. Unfortunately that may require to sacrifice a later needle bar or new reproduction part. I know from experience that the upper needle bar piece can be removed/unsoldered relatively easily.

Good luck!
Andreas

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Yes, it's a round hole Exhibition that came with the Victor 1. I hope to repair it and keep it with the machine. Years ago I bought a replacement needle bar and assembly from Bob Fulwider (SP? - yes that was a loooong time ago) and it didn't look anything like an original. Are the replacement needle bars from Ron Sitko or Musical Americana similar to originals? Thanks, Jerry

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I was more referring to a replacement rather than a reproduction. I didn't even realize new ones were being produced. I know George V. usually has some original ones on hand, and I've also bought partial/parts reproducers on eBay for such parts in the past. If I had the skill to repair one, perhaps I would. But I don't :lol:

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Jerry B. wrote:Yes, it's a round hole Exhibition that came with the Victor 1. I hope to repair it and keep it with the machine. Years ago I bought a replacement needle bar and assembly from Bob Fulwider (SP? - yes that was a loooong time ago) and it didn't look anything like an original. Are the replacement needle bars from Ron Sitko or Musical Americana similar to originals? Thanks, Jerry
I put a Ron Sitko replacement with the triangle hole on one of my Exhibition reproducers and have to look very closely to find it again. Biggest difference are the adjustment screws and nuts I think. Ron only sells the whole assembly, which for $25 isn't a bad deal I think.

Andreas

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

I trust that needle thumbscrew is free, if not I would have already commenced with the penetrating oil.... :) Bill K

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Jerry, I would get a replacement needle bar from one of the dealers. Then I would send the reproducer to one of our reproducer re-building experts. Then I would have them graft the upper portion of the reproduction needle bar to the original bottom. I have done this before. It is straight forward, and a bit tedious to get everything aligned. To get it right, it is about a three hour job, but worth it to save the needle bar.
Harvey Kravitz

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

The bar is soldered into the base plate. I could repair this if you want to send it.
Ken Brekke