Finishing Victor Back Bracket

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
maginter
Victor II

Finishing Victor Back Bracket

Post by maginter »

Hi All -

I was just curious as to what everyone is using to finish the black on a back bracket for a Victor Rear mount horn. I am getting ready for re-do a Victor MS.

TIA,

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Finishing Victor Back Bracket

Post by Phonofreak »

Make sure the crud, rust, residue is removed. I use spray cleaner. After it is cleaned, I use Krylon glass black Fusion paint. You don't need primer for this. It gives a very tough, hard finish. It is practically a dead ringer of the original color. On a side note, this is great for bed plates and black horns. If the finish is too shiny, you can dull it down with 0000 steel wool. Always use multiple thin coats. Let each coat dry and cure for 24 hours. Once you get the desired finish, get a set of Greg Cline decals. Follow the easy directions. Then coat with Bulls-eye orange shellac, to get the desired aged look.
Harvey Kravitz

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

Thanks for the information.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Harvey Kravitz

cpistocco
Victor Jr

Post by cpistocco »

I stripped my bracket down to bare metal (It was already a rusty mess with no original paint). Then I used por 15 system. BTW- Decal work is TRICKY! Take your time/ and practice!
I am not sure if I want to clear coat over decals....
Attachments
back bracket victor.JPG

Stephen_Heatherly
Victor I

Post by Stephen_Heatherly »

Phonofreak wrote:Make sure the crud, rust, residue is removed. I use spray cleaner. After it is cleaned, I use Krylon glass black Fusion paint. You don't need primer for this. It gives a very tough, hard finish. It is practically a dead ringer of the original color. On a side note, this is great for bed plates and black horns. If the finish is too shiny, you can dull it down with 0000 steel wool. Always use multiple thin coats. Let each coat dry and cure for 24 hours. Once you get the desired finish, get a set of Greg Cline decals. Follow the easy directions. Then coat with Bulls-eye orange shellac, to get the desired aged look.
Harvey Kravitz

Did you mean krylon GLOSS black fusion paint?
Does it say for plastic on the can?

Thanks,
Stephen

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Yes, it says plastic on the can. It still works great on metal. Sorry about the typo. That's what happens when your eyes get tired and getting old!!! :lol:
Harvey Kravitz
Stephen_Heatherly wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:Make sure the crud, rust, residue is removed. I use spray cleaner. After it is cleaned, I use Krylon glass black Fusion paint. You don't need primer for this. It gives a very tough, hard finish. It is practically a dead ringer of the original color. On a side note, this is great for bed plates and black horns. If the finish is too shiny, you can dull it down with 0000 steel wool. Always use multiple thin coats. Let each coat dry and cure for 24 hours. Once you get the desired finish, get a set of Greg Cline decals. Follow the easy directions. Then coat with Bulls-eye orange shellac, to get the desired aged look.
Harvey Kravitz

Did you mean krylon GLOSS black fusion paint?
Does it say for plastic on the can?

Thanks,
Stephen