Main spring questions w/pics, Krasberg(?) motor from Lauzon

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
K8APS
Victor Jr

Main spring questions w/pics, Krasberg(?) motor from Lauzon

Post by K8APS »

I picked up a Lauzon off-brand machine. Everything is nice on this machine for not being restored but when cranked there wasn't really any resistance. I'm finally into the motor and I found the inner ends of the springs (at least one of them) are in bad shape. The videos I've watched of the Victor springs show their ends as having a lip. This two-spring motor I'm dealing with uses keys on the shaft that engage into holes of the spring much like the other end of the Victor springs engage into rivets.
I've watched spin's (chilldude2007) 5-part Victor two-spring rebuild video on You-tube. I think I can handle the spring removal, repack and reinstallation. However, I am pretty sure I can't reuse my springs as-is. So, I'm looking for advice. Please look at the photos. The end of the spring (Spring 1 photo) is kinked. I don't think the key is engaging in it and if it did it is likely weakened and will break. I think the spring in Spring 2 photo may be OK. I believe if I try to straighten the tips, it will just weaken it more. I really don't to try to remove the heat treating on the end, reform it then try to retreat the spring (this has not worked well for me in the past with springs).
What are my options? I would consider buying replacements if available, or sending to someone who can perform the work.
Thoughts?
Krasberg Motor unit
Krasberg Motor unit
Motor side 1 spring
Motor side 1 spring
Motor side 2 spring
Motor side 2 spring
Motor shaft
Motor shaft

donniej
Victor III

Re: Main spring questions w/pics, Krasberg(?) motor from Lau

Post by donniej »

Pull the spring, measure its length and width. Many parts suppliers will then cut you a spring and create the "pear shaped" holes. Springs typically sell for $60 - $70. It's best practice to replace both springs, but not absolutely necessary.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What model Lauzon did you find? I found one in an antique shop in Greenville, MI during a visit in 2015. The motor looks similar to mine and mine has a bad end on one of the springs... I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so I'm not sure what I'm in for. Where do you live in Grandville? I grew up in Grand Rapids and Rockford and still have family around Grandville... We lived in Jenison for several years before moving to NC in the early '80s to get away from the lake effect snow.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote:What model Lauzon did you find? I found one in an antique shop in Greenville, MI during a visit in 2015. The motor looks similar to mine and mine has a bad end on one of the springs... I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so I'm not sure what I'm in for. Where do you live in Grandville? I grew up in Grand Rapids and Rockford and still have family around Grandville... We lived in Jenison for several years before moving to NC in the early '80s to get away from the lake effect snow.
I heard that may not be working out so well lately. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

We had 4" of snow here which lasted 2-3 days... better than 2-3 months... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

That is a Meisselbach Motor - that diagonal place is the indicator: http://www.radio-antiks.com/Design/Asse ... era/35.jpg

K8APS
Victor Jr

Post by K8APS »

Curt A wrote:What model Lauzon did you find? I found one in an antique shop in Greenville, MI during a visit in 2015. The motor looks similar to mine and mine has a bad end on one of the springs... I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet, so I'm not sure what I'm in for. Where do you live in Grandville? I grew up in Grand Rapids and Rockford and still have family around Grandville... We lived in Jenison for several years before moving to NC in the early '80s to get away from the lake effect snow.
I'm not sure on the model. It's a fairly plain model and its missing the speaker grill. The wood is good and just needs some cleaning.
Our place is off of Ivanrest between Prarie Parkway and 44th St (behind Calvin Christian Middle/High School). It's a great area. My wife grew up in Grandville. I'm from further North (Gaylord, MI). And for the record, we don't get snow like we used to. You ended up in a good spot to get away from the cold. When I was stationed down there at Ft Bragg I only remember it getting cold once or twice!
Anyway, I am having fun tearing into this machine. They are pretty darn impressive. I'm really quite surprised at how much lighter the Lauzon is than the Victor VV 4-7 I'm parting out. Its a significant difference.

K8APS
Victor Jr

Post by K8APS »

estott wrote:That is a Meisselbach Motor - that diagonal place is the indicator: http://www.radio-antiks.com/Design/Asse ... era/35.jpg
Exce!llent info! I had my doubts about the Krasberg name on the parts and no information on motors for them. There just isn't any other markings on the darn thing! So glad to have some more information now.Thank you!