EMG/Expert/Astra/Wild/Meltrope soundbox weights.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: EMG/Expert/Astra/Wild/Meltrope soundbox weights.

Post by chunnybh »

Interestingly both my Astra soundboxes weigh 204g.
That's the Astra 5 (No Meltrope Clamp) and the Astra 6 (with Meltrope Clamp).
My guess is, whoever built the Astra soundboxes also built the EMG soundboxes.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Hello Graham and all of you, I have weighed my two "OVERSTALL" SOUNDBOXES and have the following weights, of which I was rather surprised to see.
TWO SPRING OVERSTALL 187 GRAMS.
four spring pverstall 250GMS
Yes, I was rather surprised at the two weights. I always thought the 2 spring felt heavier! George Overstall did have his own design weight adjuster, and used to show folks who were interested, that he could bring the weight on the record to ONE GRAM!and play a Long Playing record with a fine bamboo needle.
I did read years ago that those who used tri-angular bamboo needles, should use a heavy soundbox, as the weight compacted the bamboo point into a hard ball. I must admit that I also prefer a heavier weight using fibre and bamboo needles, as I found when playing heavily recorded gramophone records using a weight adjuster, bringing the weight down to under four ounces, that on heavily modulated grooves, the needle would sometimes skip a groove or two, and the point would need resharpening. I know some of the EMG and Expert chaps use weight adjusters with great effect. I only really use one if I have to play a worn record that I know would break a point quickly
I am sending pictures of both soundbioxes
Attachments
soundbox 021.JPG

old country chemist
Victor II

here is a picture of the two spring box.
Alastair Murray
Attachments
soundbox 022.JPG

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Many thanks Alastair for sight of these fascinating, well made and extremely rare Overstall soundboxes. I can quite see that use of a weight adjuster might be necessary with the four-spring which is 10% heavier than the large Expert four-spring. Personally, I find a weight adjuster a little cumbersome for everyday use and seem to get consistently good results from the large EMG two-spring.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

chunnybh wrote:
That's the Astra 5 (No Meltrope Clamp) and the Astra 6 (with Meltrope Clamp).
My guess is, whoever built the Astra soundboxes also built the EMG soundboxes.
I am sure you are right about the same manufacturer being responsible for all soundboxes in the EMG and Astra stables. As far as I know, Astras were made for the Gramophone Exchange but do we know what Numbers 1,2,3,4 look like ?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Referring to a previous post on the Astra 5. There is an ad here for the Astra 4 and refers to the Astra 2 being sold for half the price. I cannot remember seeing any info on the Astra 1, 2 & 3, but being pre-1924 they may well have been advertised in The Soundwave magazine.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 11&t=18634

A few pics of the Astra 4 on the net. I believe it was available in mica diaphragm and with a "Specially built - up Composite Silk diaphragm".
Attachments
astra1.jpg
astra1.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (66.8 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (23.63 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 1984 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

chunnybh wrote:Referring to a previous post on the Astra 5. There is an ad here for the Astra 4 and refers to the Astra 2 being sold for half the price. I cannot remember seeing any info on the Astra 1, 2 & 3, but being pre-1924 they may well have been advertised in The Soundwave magazine.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 11&t=18634

A few pics of the Astra 4 on the net. I believe it was available in mica diaphragm and with a "Specially built - up Composite Silk diaphragm".
Interesting: why is the price shown as 42/-, when it could have been 2/2/-, or even 2Gn?
Bill

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Interesting: why is the price shown as 42/-, when it could have been 2/2/-, or even 2Gn?
Bill
Good point. I believe people generally dealt in shillings(a bob)rather than pounds. Average wage in 1930 was £165 a year. So spending 2 pound 2 shillings on a soundbox was pretty extravagant.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I was re-reading EMG's Book of the Fibre Needle yesterday (attached) and had forgotten that they found a heavier soundbox beneficial for the largest horns - an interesting finding, and one that seems to make scientific sense. If a large exponential horn such as the Xb Oversize couples more air, more efficiently, and to a lower frequency cutoff (also considering the additional energy requird to move the air at such frequencies), the needle must "see" a greater mechanical impedance, or put another way, must have to do more work.
Attachments
Book Fibre Needle.pdf
(731.09 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

old country chemist
Victor II

THANK YOU "Orchorsol" for very kindly placing on the forum the download of the H.B. Davey booklet on how to use Fibre needles. etc. I had not seen that edition nefore. Fascinating reading-I wonder what a newcomer would think on reading the booklet! Mr Ginn advocated in one of his booklets,up to eight ounces bearing down on the tri-angular needle point. Basically, the weight compacted the needle point into a hard ball,suitable for reproduction, and most important, to alleviate fibre needle breakdowns. The heavily modulated grooves of 1930s onwards 78s required a reproducer to hold it's own in the wavy line of reproduction. I still prefer thorns, as they are easy to sharpen and seem to last the course better than the tri-angular fibre, and have a "cleaner" sound.
Thanks again for posting the booklet. I did enjoy reading it.