Sold: DD 51622 "Sweet Man" - (Original!) - $60

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
donniej
Victor III

Sold: DD 51622 "Sweet Man" - (Original!) - $60

Post by donniej »

Has typical label wear, though it's all there. The playing surface is E- with only a few inaudible scuffs. There's an edge flake shown in the one pic, its not near the playing surface.
It plays loud and clear. The label has been properly sealed to prevent further damage.
This is an original, not a reproduction. In the spirit of full disclosure, I will be releasing a mint, single sided copy in the coming months.
$60 + $5 shipping in the USA. I'm open to trades.
Attachments
IMG_4743.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG
IMG_4742.JPG
Last edited by donniej on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: For Sale: DD 51622 "Sweet Man" - (Original!) - $60

Post by estott »

I have a copy- hot performance, even for the California Ramblers. I wouldn't mind one of your dupes.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

This is my all time fave DD. That first strong cornet note on Sweet Man is amazing, both in tone and in recording quality. It's my demo record for displaying the incredible acoustic recording capabilities of the Edison team. People simply cannot believe there was no electricity involved.

The flip side is also an excellent performance, especially by the utterly insane drummer. Donnie you need to copy BOTH sides!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

PeterF wrote:This is my all time fave DD. That first strong cornet note on Sweet Man is amazing, both in tone and in recording quality. It's my demo record for displaying the incredible acoustic recording capabilities of the Edison team. People simply cannot believe there was no electricity involved.

The flip side is also an excellent performance, especially by the utterly insane drummer. Donnie you need to copy BOTH sides!
I agree. Don, if you sell yours before you get a chance to copy the other side I have a copy to lend... along with a bunch of other Golden Gate discs that are also great like "All Alone Monday", "Looking At The World Through Rose Colored Glasses", "Everything Is Hotsy Totsy Now"....

You may have to quit your day job, pally... :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

If you are looking for candidates to copy, I want 51342-R "Honey Babe" by The Top Notchers. It is quite a number and my copy is trashed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cB__Oyn32s[/youtube]

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

PeterF wrote:This is my all time fave DD. That first strong cornet note on Sweet Man is amazing, both in tone and in recording quality. It's my demo record for displaying the incredible acoustic recording capabilities of the Edison team. People simply cannot believe there was no electricity involved.

I've heard electric DD's and good as they are they don't really stand out - because the late acoustics are of such high fidelity.

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Thanks everyone!
George, one of my jobs recently ended so I have a little time right now. Two more 12" sample records and a couple BA Rolfe's ("anything but love" and "makin' whoopee") are next. I'll reach out to you soon to talk about the other titles.

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

That is the great Red Nichols on cornet. He did several Edison sides with the Ramblers in the mid '20s. One of my favorites, too.

Jim

estott
Victor Monarch

Post by estott »

Vince Giordano uses that arrangement - though here Andy Stein takes the fiddle for a solo: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjpJIhsElVk[/youtube]

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

PM sent.

Bill