Tips needed on this TYPICAL pot metal tonearm

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Re: Tips needed on this TYPICAL pot metal tonearm

Post by briankeith »

JerryVan - I may try that. My neighbor has a wood lathe and I can make a nice hardwood dowel instead of using metal. Thanks for the tip. :) I really don't want to break the original elbow since a repro will cost me $135.00 !!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maple would be good. Would be nice too if you had a washer of just the right diameter to slip in there first.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Jerry -

That's a good idea... I never thought of trying to press / drive the elbow out. :oops:

When I have gotten them apart, I usually sand--down the neck of the elbow, carefully, with black silicon-carbide auto-body paper, until I have a nice fit in the flange. I usually finish them off with 600 grit, wet-sanded with light oil or mineral spirits.

Any reason I'm missing why we shouldn't dress-down the swollen neck, as opposed to enlarging the bore of the flange?

Or is it six of one, half-dozen of the other ?

:monkey:
De Soto Frank

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

De Soto Frank wrote:Jerry -

That's a good idea... I never thought of trying to press / drive the elbow out. :oops:

When I have gotten them apart, I usually sand--down the neck of the elbow, carefully, with black silicon-carbide auto-body paper, until I have a nice fit in the flange. I usually finish them off with 600 grit, wet-sanded with light oil or mineral spirits.

Any reason I'm missing why we shouldn't dress-down the swollen neck, as opposed to enlarging the bore of the flange?

Or is it six of one, half-dozen of the other ?

:monkey:
Frank,

Having a metal lathe, it's far easier for me to enlarge the hole in the base. If I tried to machine the elbow down, it would be a very difficult thing to fixture, (hold on to), in a machine, whereas the base flange readily fits in a lathe chuck, takes 10 minutes to re-size, and produces an accurate result. If I had to do resize either the elbow or the flange by hand, (with sandpaper), I'd probably choose to modify the elbow. Still, a sanding drum in a drill press wouldn't be a bad option to open up the hole in the flange. I guess I hate to monkey too much with a delicate pot metal elbow.

Short answer: Six of one, half-dozen of the other. :)

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Jerry -

Fair enough.

I don't have a lathe / lathe skills, but can appreciate what you describe in terms of how to hold the work piece.

Thanks !

Frank
De Soto Frank

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Whatever you do, never use a hacksaw. Put metal is tough to cut with that. The teeth slip and the back and forth torque will cause the parts to break. The other methods discussed is the way to go.
Harvey Kravitz
De Soto Frank wrote:Harvey, and others - Have you ever carefully run a hacksaw-blade in the throat of the elbow, carefully cutting an axial slot through the pot-metal neck, allowing some flex / relieving pressure of the swollen pot-metal ?

I've used this trick on machinery to remove stuck bushings...

Sounds almost like an act of desperation, but might not be as bad as crushing an elbow from repeated torque ?

Thoughts ?

Frank

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Got it.

Thanks, Harvey !
De Soto Frank

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Brian,

Have you had any luck yet getting this apart? Hope so!