Amberola VIII came home with me

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
tomb
Victor IV

Amberola VIII came home with me

Post by tomb »

I did a little swapping with Mike Sorter and one of the machines I got is this Amberola VIII. It was not in bad shape , only need cleaning, a new top, and a reproducer. I used restore on it and it turned out nice. It also plays well after a couple of adjustments. I am working on the other phonograph which is a DD C 200. I hope to have it done in a few weeks. Tom
Attachments
IMG_1980.JPG
IMG_1979.JPG
IMG_1978.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1975.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Amberola VIII came home with me

Post by phonogfp »

I think the Amberola VIII is cute as heck. I brought one home from Union in 2012; I just couldn't resist it. They don't play as well as some other machines, but they're so appealing with that wedding-cake lid and the two grained metal grilles that I forgive them. It's like a flower - doesn't need to perform, just provide visual cheer. :)

George P.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Isn't that odd how they follow us home? A few years ago I bought a Driftwood oak VV-X at Union. It was silver gray and I'd never seen that finish before. I got it home and then realized I had no place for display. Jerry

gsphonos
Victor II

Post by gsphonos »

It looks great Tom!! Will look forward to seeing it in person some time. Nice job of bringing it back to life!!!!

Mike

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Nice machine, Tom!
I really like the Amberola VIII's.. For a few year period it seemed like I was finding one under every rock. I had four of them that I fixed up and re-sold... Each time, I regretted that I had sold it... Two or three years ago I bought one at Wayne from Charley Hummel. It is truly a pristine machine that I have vowed to keep. I love the lines of the lid and the solid oak sides (no veneer peeling) The wood-grained grills and horn give it a great look.

Congrats, Tom.. It looks great.

Brad Abell
Attachments
DSCN1856.JPG
DSCN1856.JPG (135.96 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
DSCN1852.JPG
DSCN1852.JPG (137.55 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
DSCN1853.JPG
DSCN1853.JPG (149.81 KiB) Viewed 1173 times

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

So it was not my ears when it did not sound as good as my Amberola 50. I found a spot by shifting around some other machines and it looks like a unique machine because of the lid. When I get the Diamond Disc going I will be able to play any type of a record. I will have hit the trifecta. I brought a adapter for the DD machine the plays regular records and they sound very nice on it. I do not know if it will wear out the regular records faster. Having a hard time finding a spot for it but I am sure one will magically appear. I would like to keep it in the living room with the other phonographs but I might have to get rid of a piece of furniture. I do not think anyone will notice. Very nice Amberola Brad. The pen stripping is excellent. Tom

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I just stumbled upon the images I shot of my VIII for an article, and couldn't resist posting a couple...

George P.
VIIIc.jpg
VIIIb.JPG
VIIIa.JPG

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Beautiful, George (the machine, not you!) :) And with the correct crank! I have the correct longer shaft crank with this one. Some do--some don't-

Brad Abell

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Everything (and everyone) is beautiful in its own way.

The VIII’s wood graining and “wedding cake” cabinet styling notwithstanding, you gotta admit that George is way more shiny.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

:lol:
George.JPG