A Haunting Photo

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: A Haunting Photo

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks for the information, Epi! It's interesting that Ladder No.4 hasn't moved in all this time.

George P.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Can't add anything to the lead story, but as to talking machine merchants handling several diverse product lines, I have a number if Edison Gold Moulded cylinder boxes with lid or body stickers from two different dealers in Scranton, who also sold bicycles and "sporting goods"...

I will have to dig them out and get names and photos of the labels.

Sadly, both buildings are gone.

The two big Victor agents in town, Stoer & Fister, and Scranton Talking Machine Company were more furniture type goods.

"Scranton Talk" moved once or twice, and was in business until the 1970's... appliances, washing machines, furniture, etc.

:coffee:
De Soto Frank

Silvertone
Victor II

Post by Silvertone »

It would seem that Tiger Cycle Works was a fascinating place. A one-stop shop when you needed an Edison Phonograph, Victor Talking Machine and an airship motor.
Attachments
Tiger Cycle Works.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Wow! :D

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

One picture is worth a thousand words. It is astounding the amount of information one can get on this forum and be eddicated. Tom

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Silvertone wrote:It would seem that Tiger Cycle Works was a fascinating place. A one-stop shop when you needed an Edison Phonograph, Victor Talking Machine and an airship motor.
A bit off topic, Glenn Curtiss was a great innovator of high performance engines, first for motorcycles then for aviation, (two of my great loves and former ways of life). He was an interesting character and was at odds with the Wright brothers, (he was in the corner of Alexander Graham Bell and Langley). The advertisement is very cool. Glenn Curtiss was truly a great risk taker and great inventor in his own right. Curtiss also produces many iconic planes.

dennis
Victor I

Post by dennis »

Thankfully, there was no correlation between "Who Killed Elsie Sigal" and "Odd Items Found in Phonographs" !!!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Before noticing Tinfoil's having posted the link, I blew up the picture and studied it very carefully.

One thing I noticed was only in the Bicycle building were all of the windows were open and then, of course the man with hat standing near one open window. A police inspector? Why were all the windows open? Then I read the article. Obviously the place needed some airing out.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Bruce, I noticed the same thing. The fellow on the top floor looks like he's wearing a policeman's helmet of the time. The knot of five boys standing on the sidewalk outside the door doesn't portend well either... Pretty gruesome.

I think I liked not knowing.

George P.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

George, I think you are right about that being a policeman's helmet on closer look.

Thankfully it must have been thought there was no need to tie off the perimeter with that yellow tape and the phono shop appears to have remained open for business despite all the goings on!