Age of my Pooley Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chief_Industrialist
Victor Jr

Age of my Pooley Phonograph

Post by Chief_Industrialist »

Yesterday I picked up this Pooley Phonograph for free. It works, but needs some TLC. It has an auto shut off that seems to stop the record prematurely. Is there a way to adjust this feature? I’m also missing the key to lock the machine up and one of the needle cups is missing. Where could one possibly find the missing items?

All in all it was worth the 4 hour round trip to pick it up in the rain.

I added photos of the machine plus a brush that the owner gave to me.
Attachments
F678E5C6-32C1-417A-B6DB-D9F0BFF15E10.jpeg
6D4444B0-3A0D-4C26-9C35-46EA63217DA1.jpeg
296FE25F-C4D6-4056-861C-0D522CC375E8.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Age of my Pooley Phonograph

Post by Jerry B. »

Congratulations, free is a very good price even if it takes a few gallons of gas. My best guess is that your machine was built around 1920 or shortly after. I'm sure the auto stop is adjustable. I'd try moving the arm that sticks out from under the turntable. I hope this helps.

Jerry Blais

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Missing parts could likely be had from George Vollema. Pooley phonographs aren't particularly common, but they would have taken some generic parts.

I suggest restoring the reproducer or sending it off for restoration. Then use a fresh steel needle each time you play a record--it's the old-time way of making records last nearly forever.

It's a fine phonograph with a history. Pooley used to make the cabinets for the first Victrolas in 1906.

Chief_Industrialist
Victor Jr

Post by Chief_Industrialist »

Thank you for the replies. The owner gave me a few packages of new needles. I figured out how to adjust the automatic stop. The unit sounds great. I’ll hsve to look into getting those lost pieces.

The cabinet needs restoration. I plan on doing a full restoration on this piece. I have a few other units that need restoration as well, the line just continues to grow.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Manchester CT is my home town and back in the 60's I had Mrs. Potterton on my paper route. She was a widow at that time and until now - I didn't know their store sold talking machines. Moderately interesting......John
Horns rolled and straightened