Vic I horn suggestions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Vic I horn suggestions

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

What would be a good horn for a Victor Type I with adapter for large horn?

I could go with the original Vic I horn and sell the adapter, or I could swallow the cost and put on a larger B/B horn, or a panel/morning-glory. It doesn't have to be pretty. Which of these horns could I find on a budget easily (Replica or original) in any cosmetic condition?

Just never bought a horn before and was curious what to do to give my Victor a really awesome horn.

Django
Victor IV

Re: Vic I horn suggestions

Post by Django »

I would keep the large horn adapter to keep the horn option open. This is my Victor II with a Hawthorne and Sheble horn, (sorry for the grainy photo). You could go with a nice, stock horn until you find the one that you really love. Just my 2 cents.
Attachments
MR6.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Be careful with the adapter to put a larger horn on a Victor I or E. The elbows are much weaker to support that added weight.
Ken Brekke

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Phono-Phan wrote:Be careful with the adapter to put a larger horn on a Victor I or E. The elbows are much weaker to support that added weight.
Ken Brekke
Good to know. Thanks a lot.

I've never even seen a Victor horn machine before,

(edited. The Vic III I was tinkering with in the antique store--where the guy apparently doesn't know that steel needles need changing )

so this is a learning experience. Any votes on audio performance for the different horns?

I was curious about panel horns. They seem mighty nice and light too.
Last edited by VanEpsFan1914 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I have an early Victor I with an adapter. The horn i use is the slightly larger one used for a Humpback Victor II. The dimensions are roughly 12" for the bell and 18" for the length. This horn is not overpowering. The larger horns can cause metal fatigue on the elbow, and dwarf the machine. Also, the small Victor I B & B horns are tough to find.
Harvey Kravitz

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:
Phono-Phan wrote:Be careful with the adapter to put a larger horn on a Victor I or E. The elbows are much weaker to support that added weight.
Ken Brekke
Good to know. Thanks a lot.

I've never even seen a Victor horn machine before,

(edited. The Vic III I was tinkering with in the antique store--where the guy apparently doesn't know that steel needles need changing )

so this is a learning experience. Any votes on audio performance for the different horns?

I was curious about panel horns. They seem mighty nice and light too.
Make me an offer on the repro Berliner style horn I have in my "Stuff" ad in the Trader. Fit it to your elbow, drill a hole and fasten it with a nut and bolt and enjoy your machine till you shop around and figure out what you really want.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I would look for the slightly larger horn that I mentioned on a previous post in this section. You'll be much more happy in the long run.
Harvey Kravitz