VV-50 Crank Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
toysbyroy
Victor I

VV-50 Crank Question

Post by toysbyroy »

When I try to wind the crank on a VV-50, the "ratchet" that stops the crank from unwinding does not always catch. I have cleaned and lubed the unit, but it will not catch when the motor is in its correct upright position. Any ideas?

Roy Bendure
motor.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: VV-50 Crank Question

Post by HisMastersVoice »

If you've thoroughly cleaned the ratchet & pawl and it still is not catching, my guess would be that one or both of those components is worn. I would inspect them to see if the ratchet teeth or the pawl has been rounded off by heavy wear.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Does it never work or only sometimes? Is the ratchet pawl and gear installed in the correct orientation or backwards? Are they worn? Does the pawl move freely? I noticed in some motors the pawl doesn't catch when the motor is upside down, but does work when installed in the case.

Good luck
Andreas

toysbyroy
Victor I

Post by toysbyroy »

The gears and pawl do not appear to be badly worn. And, it works if the motor is upside down (gravity?). All parts move freely.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

I haven't taken a motor completely apart in a while since I rebuilt them all years ago, but is it possible to flip the pawl around the other way? If memory serves, the ends are shaped differently and it only works one way.

Wes K
Victor I

Post by Wes K »

check that the pawl is in the right way, and that the tips of the ratchet teeth aren't worn down. This style "anchor" ratchet will get finicky when it is worn.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's another idea: I have a Victor I whose single mainspring will detach from the arbor if allowed to run down completely. The only way to wind the motor in that situation is to open the top of the cabinet and set the catch. This rotates the mainspring's position by about 90 degrees, and the motor can then be wound.

The explanation of course is that gravity allows the "at rest" mainspring to drop down on its inner end - forcing it against the arbor and allowing the pin to catch the pear-shaped hole.

Hopefully this is happening to your motor as well. If so, simply keep a bit of tension on the mainspring (don't allow it to run down completely) and the problem should disappear. Good luck!

George P.