European Gramophones

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: European Gramophones

Post by CarlosV »

These are wonderful machines, and you did a great job in their restoration, Andreas. I had already followed their restoration in your previous posts, and seeing now them all together is the cherry on the cake. Parabéns!

On the subject of them being German, it is not surprising, actually it is expected. Odeon was the first record company to establish in Brazil, with a record pressing factory and the regular import of Lindstrom gramophones with almost a monopoly until WWI. The famous Casa Edison records were pressed by Odeon.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

CarlosV wrote:These are wonderful machines, and you did a great job in their restoration, Andreas. I had already followed their restoration in your previous posts, and seeing now them all together is the cherry on the cake. Parabéns!

On the subject of them being German, it is not surprising, actually it is expected. Odeon was the first record company to establish in Brazil, with a record pressing factory and the regular import of Lindstrom gramophones with almost a monopoly until WWI. The famous Casa Edison records were pressed by Odeon.
As mentioned, Casa Edison was a huge retailer in South America. The Odeon Record pressing plant I believe was in Rio.

By the way, I see a cut drawing posted of a Odeon model I own. I have only been able to find it in a French Catalog.
20180207_184220.jpg

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Friends, thank you very much for the compliments, the restorations were well done but the phonographs helped a lot because they are impressive. About Odeon and Casa Edison, I know the story well, we have a lot of literature on the subject here in Brazil, and Fred Figner is a national pride, even though he is not Brazilian.
 I also believe that these machines have been here since new, coming from Germany at the beginning of last century, after all all our records were pressed in Germany and the influence from country in this entertainment industry was very present, fortunate mine to have found 3 of them in conditions that can be restored.
I am very grateful to you for accompanying my work of collecting and restoring these wonders to posterity.
It is unfortunate that people of limited knowledge on the subject still check the originality of the machines simply because they do not research enough, they think that to be original who to be one of the great brands Victor, Columbia, Edison and Pathé.
Attachments
DSC03698.JPG

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Here are a few more ads taken from a copy of the Odeon Gramophones 1908-9 Catalogue.
Attachments
Odeon2.jpg
Odeon-1.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

chunnybh wrote:Here are a few more ads taken from a copy of the Odeon Gramophones 1908-9 Catalogue.
Well, here is the "Berlioz" model. I like how they mention "imit Ebenhotz" or "Imitation Ebony" in German.Does anyone know what "IT"
stands for on the Odeon reproducer..?.
101_1605.JPG
101_1608.JPG
101_1566.JPG
IMG-20171129-WA0044.jpg

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

gramophone78 wrote:
chunnybh wrote:Here are a few more ads taken from a copy of the Odeon Gramophones 1908-9 Catalogue.
Well, here is the "Berlioz" model. I like how they mention "imit Ebenhotz" or "Imitation Ebony" in German.Does anyone know what "IT"
stands for on the Odeon reproducer..?.
101_1605.JPG
101_1608.JPG
101_1566.JPG
IMG-20171129-WA0044.jpg
Beautiful Gramophone, Congratulations, this was the one that was in Curitiba, right? I saw him announced and saw his effort in buying the negotiations, very cool.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Thanks for showing the photos in the catalog, the second model looks like mine but it's not the same model, very interesting.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

gramotalk wrote:I think that these are not "original" gramophones. These probably were made in the 80's like Banus gramophone (I think the one on the left is a Banu's). These are very good looking gramophones but they are not historical gramophones. I can make a hand made gramophone in 2018. But is this really an original gramophone? Yes, is an original gramophone but not an historical gramophone. They have the same value than a very ornate furniture. Soundboxes probably are the tipical HMV indian. And goose neck...
Thank goodness these Gramophones are very original and very exceptional!

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Here is the whole catalogue. It was reprinted in "The Talking Machine Review" issue 46, June 1977.
From the magazine:
"ODEON
In the foregoing pages we illustrate some German Odeon talking machines produced by the
Carl Lindstrom Company , of circa 1908/ 9. They were all printed originaly on one piece of exceedingly thin tissue paper about two feet square. It was a). a tribute to the original German
printer that he was able to print on such thin material and b). and a tribute to
Roy the Photographer at our printers that he was able to photograph for us f r om so difficult
a subject .
Unfortunately , apart from the Odeon trade mark in each corner of the sheet there was
only what we have printed on our pages . Odeon was a major manufacturer in Germany at the
time , but little printed matter or actual models seem to have survived two world wars. E.B."
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

gramophone78 wrote:
CarlosV wrote:These are wonderful machines, and you did a great job in their restoration, Andreas. I had already followed their restoration in your previous posts, and seeing now them all together is the cherry on the cake. Parabéns!

As mentioned, Casa Edison was a huge retailer in South America. The Odeon Record pressing plant I believe was in Rio.

By the way, I see a cut drawing posted of a Odeon model I own. I have only been able to find it in a French Catalog.
The attachment 20180207_184220.jpg is no longer available

Wow, this little box with the advertisement is beautiful, even from my city ... thanks for showing, I have some other Casa Edison ads, see.
Attachments
DSC02955.JPG
IMG_20171108_180324061.jpg
23226981_1388288997964267_1333792830_n.jpg
23192674_1388288554630978_1119043842_n.jpg