New 78's Possibilities...

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
donniej
Victor III

New 78's Possibilities...

Post by donniej »

Another ridiculously time consuming and expensive endeavor, which now makes any 78 possibilities, well, possible....
This means I've now adapted my laboratory to making "shellac compatible" resin, built a pressure casting system large enough to reproduce 12" Diamond Discs and now can cut a proper 78.

https://youtu.be/fVRDk7P1o6I
Attachments
lathe.jpg
Last edited by donniej on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: New 78's Possibilities...

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This is literally the best news all day. I like the blend of digital tech and the old-school electric lathe!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

For the process to work, does it need to be ceiling mounted??? :lol:

Joking aside, this is a great endeavor and really appreciate your making things available that othewise would not be for most people.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I don't get why more people haven't replied. This is literally the greatest advancement in obsolescence since the replica resin cylinder!

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

The laptop makes it easier to set the EQ and/or RIAA curve. I don't have the correct amplifier, so this is my workaround. The rest of it is vintage pre-war electric.

I'm also surprised more people haven't replied... I was hoping for some input on what to release next, now that anything is possible.

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

So does this mean you're working from digital files now, with no need for people to send in their prized discs for molding? You can do anything that will fit?

Btw, my wife and I were playing at a restaurant on Sunday ... she pulled out the Arthur Gibbs Charleston and said "What in the hell is this???" :lol:
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Fantastic!

It might be a very off-the-wall choice, and I'm sure I could think of a lot of older rare records, but personally I'd love a 10 inch two-sider of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBbjc5hmho (India was still producing 78s long after 1965).
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Post by audiophile102 »

The effort you have put into making Edison records is very admirable. The rare records I would most like to own are the Edison records recorded with Red and Miffs Stompers, which is really The Charleston Chasers. To my ears they produced the best jazz music of the era. I have several CHarleston Chasers 78 records, but still I would like to hear it on my Edison A250. I really don't have a specific rare 78 I would like to have, but that's because my education regarding 1920s jazz bands is limited. Best of luck with your amazing machine!
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Orchorsol wrote:Fantastic!

It might be a very off-the-wall choice, and I'm sure I could think of a lot of older rare records, but personally I'd love a 10 inch two-sider of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBbjc5hmho (India was still producing 78s long after 1965).
Not sure that fits the style/era most of us have in mind... :roll:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

"So does this mean you're working from digital files now, with no need for people to send in their prized discs for molding? You can do anything that will fit?

That's my question too...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife