Original faded grill cloth or new - opinions

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
arthurmacie
Victor O

Original faded grill cloth or new - opinions

Post by arthurmacie »

I picked up a Pathé model 10 that was in great shape (dirty but cleaning up nice). My question is that it has the original grill cloth that is intact, but reallllly faded (kind of a light pink). Am I better off replacing it to make the machine look better, or keeping it intact. Which has more value to the collectors out there
Attachments
grill.jpg
grill.jpg (103.9 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Original faded grill cloth or new - opinions

Post by barnettrp21122 »

If you're certain the grill cloth is original I'd recommend not replacing it. From a collector's standpoint it would never be original again otherwise! If it's in tatters then that's another story. I'd replace that with a color matching the faded look, but others would want it to look as when new.
I've found it's hard to find really authentic grill cloth replacements, even among those offered on Ebay, etc.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Faded original all day!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

An original faded cloth, particularly one in good shape, is always better than a modern replacement.

Having said that, I'm not certain yours is original. My Pathé model III has a lightweight brown silk cloth with a vertical grain. The cloth on yours does not seem to be silk and seems to have a horizontal grain.

On virtually all makes and models, grill cloths have worn out and been replaced to the point where it's difficult to say whether something that appears old is original. If you're happy with what you have, leave it alone. If you do change it, try to keep the original with the machine for future reference.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

It's only original once, so imnsho, keep it intact. :)

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I agree with the other members. Keep it as is. That way the machine is original.
Harvey Kravitz