Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Phonographs I would love too own, but can't afford

Post by audiophile102 »

Hands down I would spring for the Sonora Supreme for sale here, http://www.musicaltreasuresofmiami.com/6i-sonora.html if I could afford it.
It really is (to me) the most magnificent phonograph ever made. I have seen Roger Merenkov's phonographs going up for auction Donley's and All of them are outstanding, but way out of my budget. Of all the machines that Rodger is selling, I like the VV-XX the best, but any one of the Circassian walnut machines are very beautiful. I already own an Invincible, but his is better than mine in that it has the wood tonearm with the most beautiful feather like carving.
Auction.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

- Probably any outside horn disc machine. (Then again I never had one show up in my area, so who knows.)

- Higher end Amberolas (like the 1-A)

- Higher end Victrolas such as models VV-XVI and above

- Edison Opera or Idealia

- those art case Sonoras with the wooden tone arms

- Gothic cabinet Grafonola

- Grafonola De Luxe

- Edison concert

Then again I'm only speculating. I haven't yet come across these machines in the wild so I could be wrong!

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

The Victrola XVIs are fairly common around here. I got mine for $100. That might just be a dream that will become reality for you!

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

GregVTLA wrote:The Victrola XVIs are fairly common around here. I got mine for $100. That might just be a dream that will become reality for you!
Dreams get bigger as the collection grows. Some XVI variants are very nice, the VTLA being a XVI according to Victor’s catalog. Affordability changes and is dependent on many factors including justification. Just my 2 cents.

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Post by GregVTLA »

Django wrote: Dreams get bigger as the collection grows.
I totally agree, when I started 6 months ago, I just wanted any floor model Victrola. Now I like to think I'm a bit more selective about what occupies the space. And this hobby can be very affordable, if you wait for the right deals. I would be happier with a machine I only pay $100 for but I have to hunt for years to find, instead of buying the same machine for $500 at a show.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

I keep my spending limit under $1,000.00. Most I spent for a phonograph was $675.00 for my Edison Home Phonograph. Cheapest, was $100.00 for my Columbia Q, but only because it was damaged, and cost $400.00 for repairs, but it was worth it.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Edisonfan wrote:I keep my spending limit under $1,000.00. Most I spent for a phonograph was $675.00 for my Edison Home Phonograph. Cheapest, was $100.00 for my Columbia Q, but only because it was damaged, and cost $400.00 for repairs, but it was worth it.
I know: I paid in the high hundreds for my BI, my E, my Talkophone, and my P-1 (most of which needed parts): on the other hand, I did get several machines as gifts... :)

Bill

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Speaking of phonographs in general. There, aren't too many places in my area too find the machines. The records are not a problem, it's the machines, and when I find them. They are mainly Victor Machines. I have found a few cylinder machines within a 100 or so radius. However, finding anything unique, is a different story. I have found one oddball machine, but it would have cost more to have it repaired. I would have to go farther East. Such as Eastern PA, or New Jersey. eBay, is okay, but the shipping costs can really add too the cost, or an already overpriced machine. Don't get me wrong, I love the machine I have, but I would love to find something really unique! Mainly, since I still have one, empty in my living room. Near my antique phonograph, corner. Oh, well! I'll keep looking.

billybob62
Victor III

Post by billybob62 »

Edisonfan
Victor V

Post by Edisonfan »

Nice machine, but Ontario is too far away. Hopping a bit closer. Mid Atlantic Region of the United States.