My first phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Re: My first phonograph

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

Pierce-Arrow wrote:Congrats on bringing it back home! I have always like Columbia Cylinder Phonographs!

Keith :coffee:
Curious, I've always been fascinated by older Columbia Graphophones, maybe because it was my first machine, by design, I can not really explain. In addition to this I have another more recent AT, with more decorated box, I found with the cast iron part all broken and did a great work of restoration, today it works normally.
Attachments
bgtaffa.jpg
bgtaffa.jpg (103.54 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
IMG_20160621_161834024.jpg
fom.jpg
fom.jpg (60.54 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
fom 3.jpg
fom 3.jpg (32.19 KiB) Viewed 1264 times

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I'm still not quite sure when they switched from the "Broadway" decal to the "New York and Paris" version...

Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Lucius1958 wrote:I'm still not quite sure when they switched from the "Broadway" decal to the "New York and Paris" version...

Bill
There's an article in the September 2016 issue of The Antique Phonograph that shows and describes all 16 known variations of the banner decals used on U.S. cylinder Graphophones. The "3 Broadway Addresses" decal was replaced by the first "New York & Paris" decal in mid-1899.

George P.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

phonogfp wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:I'm still not quite sure when they switched from the "Broadway" decal to the "New York and Paris" version...

Bill
There's an article in the September 2016 issue of The Antique Phonograph that shows and describes all 16 known variations of the banner decals used on U.S. cylinder Graphophones. The "3 Broadway Addresses" decal was replaced by the first "New York & Paris" decal in mid-1899.

George P.

Oh, yes. Thanks! :)

Bill

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Here is the AT recovered with some "manufactured" parts next to the older AT, which was my first phonograph.
Attachments
DSC04250.JPG
DSC04230.JPG

Pierce-Arrow
Victor I

Post by Pierce-Arrow »

Andreas Gramophones wrote:
Pierce-Arrow wrote:Congrats on bringing it back home! I have always like Columbia Cylinder Phonographs!

Curious, I've always been fascinated by older Columbia Graphophones, maybe because it was my first machine, by design, I can not really explain. In addition to this I have another more recent AT, with more decorated box, I found with the cast iron part all broken and did a great work of restoration, today it works normally.

You just have excellent visual taste, that's all it is!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Not to knock Edison machines, they are built like tanks, but from an aesthetic viewpoint Columbia machines have them beat...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Just an art photo
Attachments
IMG_20180609_153038.jpg