1915 NEW COLONIAL GRAMOPHONE. all metal construction.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

1915 NEW COLONIAL GRAMOPHONE. all metal construction.

Post by old country chemist »

Hello again folks! My rather infrequent visits to this excellent website show me what I have been missing-I really ought to look in more often.
I recently finished the renovation of the "tin" gramophone, a Pathé of 1915 date, shown in the British catalogue of that year. An ALL METAL MACHINE,and heavy. It was missing various parts, and the motor was broken when I first got it. I think it weighs 28lb-it certainly feels it when I carry it around the house! I have just worked out how much I have spent on "doing it up", and it comes to approximately £138 in English money. I have played it a few times, and it is quite good, but could do with more volume. Carlos has very kindly supplied me with some important parts, and also advice and photographs. Others have also supplied advice and pictures from catalogues of the period. My thanks go to Paul Bake and my old chum, Roger Mackey. The finished job is not very good, but adequate, considering it must have been dropped from a 20 storey window, years ago, with all the dents etc. in it, and left to rust in a Turkish Baths! Thankfully the wood grain effect that I have done,(not the same as the original), has hidden some of the bumps. This is my first venture with a Pathé gramophone. I took on the challenge, as it was the last gramophone that "The Gramophone Man"(Philip Knighton), wanted to complete after he retired, but sadly that was not to be, as he died in February 2016. So I took on the job, and I am glad I did.
Attachments
PATHE GRAMOPHONE, pinted etc 006.JPG
PATHE GRAMOPHONE, pinted etc 009.JPG
pathe gram etc 008.JPG
pathe gram etc 001.JPG
gram 004.JPG

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: 1915 Pathé NEW COLONIAL GRAMOPHONE. all metal constructi

Post by PeterF »

That's a beautiful job! I have the "portable" version of that same machine, US badged, in a huge heavy trunk-like case.

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 1&p=173352

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: 1915 NEW COLONIAL GRAMOPHONE. all metal construction.

Post by Curt A »

I remember seeing your original pictures of this machine and thought - good luck, it's a goner... since it looked like you fished it from the bottom of a lake. But you have proved me wrong and done a wonderful restoration on this unusual machine. Congratulations :!: :!: :!:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Indeed a masterful job, looks better than the original painting! Congratulations!

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

My gosh it sure took a lot of patience to rehaul that "lemon"!!! Your faux-veneer painting might perhaps not be like the original as you write, but it's an impressive job nonetheless, it looks absolutely wonderful. You really brought it back to life, what a wonderful job! 8-)

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Really lovely, a real credit to you Alastair! Amazing too that you were able to keep the cost down so low (discounting the many hours it must have taken).
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Alastair and I live only 10 miles apart, and I have followed the progress of this restoration with great interest. Taking it on was a brave decision for all the right reasons.
The machine looks every bit as good "in the metal" as it does in the pictures. Our mutual and much missed friend the late Philip Knighton would have been proud of it.

Roger.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

THANK YOU ALL for your kind words regarding my "doing up" of the tin Pathé machine. I forgot to mention that I chose enamel paints for the paintwork, after the whole machine had been shot blasted with "used" grit, so as not to be too invasive on the metalwork. It was de-rusted then sprayed in a "zinc cote" metallic undercoat, which also helped to cover some of the minor blemishes.
The only item on the gramophone that still does not function properly is the "quick start device", as the return spring on the motor spindle is very tight, and I have not been able to release it.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Great job... Thanks for showing it. I have never seen a all metal machine that size. Just me...Tom