What is This Machine? Also need a reproducer.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: What is This Machine? Also need a reproducer.

Post by gramophone-georg »

CarlosV wrote:
PeterF wrote:I'd say replacing the tonearm with a Victor or HMV one will be super easy - and that allows you to make it authentic again since you already have the proper (HMV #2) reproducer for it.

See the link I added earlier for pix of an authentic machine to see what sort of tonearm to find (although I'm not sure the horn on that one is correct).
I don't think finding a replacement tonearm will be easy: this machine utilises a very short arm, that was only used on the HMV nursery model besides this 33 and the model 29. All three are quite scarce machines. I have both the 33 and the 29. You can fit a portable HMV101 tonearm on the 33, but it is too long and the needle will extend far beyond its ideal location over the spindle, which is not good for the reproduction not for the records. I don't know if Victor ever manufactured such short arm, but usually Victor and HMV hardware are not easily exchangeable, they look similar but when you try to fit them you notice that the dimensions are not the same (from personal experience ...).
Carlos, if you could post dimensions of those arms it may help the OP find an arm.

The problem with Victor arms is that almost all of them had the back bracket with swivel pin up top which these do not have.

There is a variant of the VV-50 that has an arm that looks identical to the HMV 33. Your point about just enough difference in sizing as to be not exchangeable is well taken, though, as I have run into this myself. He'd need dimensions and detail on the base as well as length. The reproducer mount sizes ARE the same so his HMV 2 should fit the Victor arm without issue.

The other problem with an HMV 101 arm is that the base is far shorter than my HMV 32. I'm assuming that 33 would have the same arm base. I tried to take the easy way out on my 32 and use a near mint 101 arm and base but it was so far off both ways I wound up prepping and re- nickeling the original arm.

See the pics at the top of P. 4 here for the VV-50 arm I'm thinking of:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 9&start=30
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

gramophone-georg wrote: Carlos, if you could post dimensions of those arms it may help the OP find an arm.

The problem with Victor arms is that almost all of them had the back bracket with swivel pin up top which these do not have.

There is a variant of the VV-50 that has an arm that looks identical to the HMV 33. Your point about just enough difference in sizing as to be not exchangeable is well taken, though, as I have run into this myself. He'd need dimensions and detail on the base as well as length. The reproducer mount sizes ARE the same so his HMV 2 should fit the Victor arm without issue.

The other problem with an HMV 101 arm is that the base is far shorter than my HMV 32. I'm assuming that 33 would have the same arm base. I tried to take the easy way out on my 32 and use a near mint 101 arm and base but it was so far off both ways I wound up prepping and re- nickeling the original arm.

See the pics at the top of P. 4 here for the VV-50 arm I'm thinking of:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... 9&start=30
The arm on my HMV 29 has a top swivel over the backbracket, and it measures 4 inches from the center of the swivel pin to the center of the u-tube rotation axis. The u-tube itself measures 2 in ¾ between the outer edges. See the photo below, I added two arrows to show the dimensions. My 33 came fitted with a 101 arm, that's why I mentioned the problem with the tone arm length. There is no indication that this was a post-factory change, as these machines did not follow the same quality controls as the ones sold in England, but certainly it is not the originally intended arm for it. I checked the screw pattern on both backbracets, and both match, so from that standpoint the short tone arm is compatible with the 33. I have a Victor 50, but haven't tried to fit it on the 33. The one I did try was the arm of a portable HMV (forgot its model number, but it predates the 101) that has the same acoustic design as the Victor 50, with the shallow reflection bucket, but that arm does not fit.
Attachments
HMV 29.JPG
HMV 29.JPG (47.64 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

To complement the above: I just retrieved my Victor 50 and checked the arm: it is too long, and its base is completely different from the HMV, so no luck there.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Gosh I made assumptions that may have been faulty; sorry.

I have the later orthophonic version and will measure its tonearm when I next have a chance, in case the standard ortho arm will fit yours...you could upgrade without remorse (because the machine is already not original) and enjoy better sound.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

The arm from a Victrola Model 35 might work. It does not have the overhang. Also, the bracket looks like it fits directly on the case. That might be worth a try.
Harvey Kravitz

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Phonofreak wrote:The arm from a Victrola Model 35 might work. It does not have the overhang. Also, the bracket looks like it fits directly on the case. That might be worth a try.
Harvey Kravitz
I tried the HMV100, which is the English equivalent of the Victor 35, but its backbracket does not fit in the HMV33.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Is the arm itself the right size?
Harvey Kravitz

studebakerphonos
Victor II
Personal Text: Skilled Craftsman produce radio cabinets at RCA Victor in Camden, N.J.

Post by studebakerphonos »

What about a tone arm from a VV-35 ?

Would that fit??

Thanks for all your help !!! :ugeek:

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Phonofreak wrote:Is the arm itself the right size?
Harvey Kravitz
The arm is a little lopnger, 4.5 inch instead of 4 inch and 2inch ¾ (on the two dimensions I show in the picture above), just measured it. It will fit if you can find an interface to screw to the motor board. The one of the HMV100, as I mentioned, is not designed to be screwed to a motor board.