Pathé cleaned up nice

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
arthurmacie
Victor O

Pathé cleaned up nice

Post by arthurmacie »

Just took a little of scrubbing (Thanks to Goop, great tip), and the Quarter sawn Oak (Tiger Oak) came to life. This was black when I got it, couldn't even see the grain, but the veneer was largely intact, needed some glue. Finished with light coat of Tung oil. Cleaned and rebuilt the motor (springs good - missing 2 regulator weights that I replaced). Replaced the gaskets and reattached the diaphragm (in good shape just loose screw and wax) in the reproducer. Sounds good with the dozen (mint condition) Pathé Disks that came with it in "hill and Valley" position. Sounds even better running in Lateral position with Victor Records. Any Idea what the market value might be?
Attachments
IMG_0555.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0551.JPG
IMG_0550.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Pathé cleaned up nice

Post by PeterF »

There. Is. Nothing. Like. Oak.

Beautiful; congrats on a job well done.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Wonderful job! That oak grain really pops!
Thanks for the pictures.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

So did Pathé just endlessly rebadge the same basic upright machine? I have a Model 100--in fact, it was my first spring phonograph--that looks just like this (aside from being mahogany) right down to the grille design, and I've seen pictures of any number of Pathé uprights that appear the same under various model numbers.

No criticism of the thread topic machine, by the way; it's quite lovely, a nice restoration all the way 'round. Just noting that the history of Pathé designs seems to have more twists and turns than the average bowl of rigatoni.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Here's an early Pathé catalogue scan if anyone is interested

https://www.use.com/Ofagd

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

soundgen wrote:Here's an early Pathé catalogue scan if anyone is interested

https://www.use.com/Ofagd
Thanks for posting that--very interesting indeed. It would appear Pathé made a much wider variety of designs available in England than it did in the United States. Also interesting that most were named after famous operas, whereas here they had model numbers, for the most part.