Columbia Graphophone Phonograph Wood Horn Metal End

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
jboger
Victor IV

Columbia Graphophone Phonograph Wood Horn Metal End

Post by jboger »

I'm interested in buying one of these metal ends for a Columbia wooden horn. The one I have is shot and will not screw in. Is there another source for this part other than the seller on eBay?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Columbia Graphophone Phonograph Wood Horn Metal End

Post by Jerry B. »

I'd try Don Gfell.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Here's two pictures of the end cap. I sent Mr. Gfell and email just now.
Attachments
DSCF1603.jpg
DSCF1603.jpg (137.84 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
DSCF1605.jpg
DSCF1605.jpg (74.26 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

A few more photos. Don Gfell asked for some photos and I just sent them. Thought others might like to see the horn. I've had this thing for about two years, me wondering what to do with it. I decided to get it off the floor and onto a machine.
Attachments
DSCF1611.jpg
DSCF1611.jpg (87.93 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
DSCF1608.jpg
DSCF1608.jpg (97.39 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
DSCF1606.jpg
DSCF1606.jpg (93.98 KiB) Viewed 1341 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Nice horn! That's a product of the Wooden Phonograph Horn Company in Syracuse, NY. Those horns were marketed as "Symphony" by Columbia.

George P.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

An update: I soaked the ferrule in vinegar, a weak acid, for several hours. That cleaned it up very nicely. it is nickel plated on brass. The metal is thin and split, however, Don Gfell tells me that epoxy can handle that.

Which is to say that I spoke with Don. First, a comment on his horns. They are works of art. I can not add anything to what others have already written here on the Forum. We are lucky to have such people making these things. Now, the conversation I had with Mr. Gfell was informative. I learned that Columbia horns came in three sizes and that the offering on eBay was more than likely too small for my horn and would not fit. Although there are three sizes, the threads however are all the same. He did not have any spares in stock and needs them for his work--all very understandable.

Any way, that's where things stand.

John

mcgravy
Victor O

Post by mcgravy »

Hi John,

With some patience using a modified chisel (rounded to match the diameter of the collar) you should be able to straighten this piece. I have done projects similar to this with good success.

Rick

Phototone
Victor III

Post by Phototone »

I would think a band instrument repair house could fix this just fine. Most larger communities have one, as every junior and senior high school has a band with metal instruments that suffer rough handling from students and have to be restored. Making things ROUND again is a common procedure that such establishments do every day, and they have specific tools to do so.