HMV 101 Identification

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

HMV 101 Identification

Post by CharliePhono »

I just purchased this machine off eBay for refurb and/or parts. I've owned several 101's, but never noticed a case style with a flap over the crank hole when the case is closed. Other than that, and the handle on the case which is not the type with the wire springs on either end that fit into the case brackets, I don't see a lot of differences on this machine as compared to my other 101 and those I've owned in the past. The lock/latch also differs from my prior 101's.

Can anyone provide an approximate date of manufacture for this machine? Was it perhaps for foreign marketing? It is coming to me from Minnesota here in the States. I am to understand the crank was moved from the front to the side around 1926/27, but not having any ready reference material to draw upon, save for the web, I'm unable to glean any information as to when this machine appeared and how long this particular iteration existed.

Thanks very much for any help/insights. Seems this is the week for HMV portables!

Kind regards,
Charlie
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg

Teak
Victor II

Re: HMV 101 Identification

Post by Teak »

This 101 is most likely the 1927/28 101 C.
Attachments
c_101_212395.jpg
c_101_212395.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
Last edited by Teak on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

CharliePhono wrote:I just purchased this machine off eBay for refurb and/or parts. I've owned several 101's, but never noticed a case style with a flap over the crank hole when the case is closed. Other than that, and the handle on the case which is not the type with the wire springs on either end that fit into the case brackets, I don't see a lot of differences on this machine as compared to my other 101 and those I've owned in the past. The lock/latch also differs from my prior 101's.

Can anyone provide an approximate date of manufacture for this machine? Was it perhaps for foreign marketing? It is coming to me from Minnesota here in the States. I am to understand the crank was moved from the front to the side around 1926/27, but not having any ready reference material to draw upon, save for the web, I'm unable to glean any information as to when this machine appeared and how long this particular iteration existed.

Thanks very much for any help/insights. Seems this is the week for HMV portables!

Kind regards,
Charlie

I just had a quick look on google (actually not google but the search engine 'Duck Duck Go' which I use) and seem to have found a similar example maybe.

Although the photo is there in DDG 'images' - when I went to the website I could not see it there.

The website the photo refers to is https://picclick.co.uk/HMV-His-Masters- ... 81330.html I don't know the site - something to do with selling.

The photo reference is https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 57.jpg&f=1

I have not copied the photo as I was concerned about copyright maybe ?

Hopefully you can click on the second link and see for you-self.

I hope that this makes sense. Most interesting as I have not seen the style of 101 either.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

CharliePhono wrote:I just purchased this machine off eBay for refurb and/or parts. I've owned several 101's, but never noticed a case style with a flap over the crank hole when the case is closed. Other than that, and the handle on the case which is not the type with the wire springs on either end that fit into the case brackets, I don't see a lot of differences on this machine as compared to my other 101 and those I've owned in the past. The lock/latch also differs from my prior 101's.

Kind regards,
Charlie

Oh, there is another one it seems on the following link with lots of photo's to see at the top of the web page:

https://picclick.co.uk/Vintage-Hmv-Mode ... 33903.html

Sorry I can't provide the information you are seeking but I hope the photo's may be of interest and the thought that others do indeed exist.

Vlad71
Victor Jr

Post by Vlad71 »

Hi, this model is listed in the catalog of 1928, but I think we can safely say that this is one of the first HMV 101 where the crank was moved to the side, the date of issue of the gramophone from 1926,1927,1928 year, also note the lock 1 and 2 pen holders - they are the same!!! More specifically it is possible to tell when you remove the rotating disk under it on a wooden plate the number will be knocked out.
P.S I have no catalogue for 1926 and 1927 (That would I with certainty could say more accurate)
If You will not be difficult, take detailed pictures, thank you in advance.
Vlad
Attachments
Number?
Number?
1925 Catalogue
1925 Catalogue
1928 Catalogue
1928 Catalogue

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

According to the book pictured below, which is out of print but well worth looking for secondhand, the side winding handle was fitted to the HMV101 from late 1926/early 1927. The plate attached to the lid which covered the winding hole when not in use appeared in 1927, but was only fitted until late 1928.The "Pakawa" spring loaded carrying handle was in use by 1928.
Attachments
hmv.jpg
hmv.jpg (85.22 KiB) Viewed 2494 times

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

epigramophone wrote:According to the book pictured below, which is out of print but well worth looking for secondhand, the side winding handle was fitted to the HMV101 from late 1926/early 1927. The plate attached to the lid which covered the winding hole when not in use appeared in 1927, but was only fitted until late 1928.The "Pakawa" spring loaded carrying handle was in use by 1928.
Yes, years ago I had that book, and after relocating from New England to California, it somehow disappeared in the move. I see now where copies are very expensive to obtain. I do recall it as a very comprehensive reference. Thank you for the information on the crank position and winding hole cover!

And thanks to all who took the time to respond to my post. Much appreciated!

Cheers,
Charlie

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Vlad71 wrote:Hi, this model is listed in the catalog of 1928, but I think we can safely say that this is one of the first HMV 101 where the crank was moved to the side, the date of issue of the gramophone from 1926,1927,1928 year, also note the lock 1 and 2 pen holders - they are the same!!! More specifically it is possible to tell when you remove the rotating disk under it on a wooden plate the number will be knocked out.
P.S I have no catalogue for 1926 and 1927 (That would I with certainty could say more accurate)
If You will not be difficult, take detailed pictures, thank you in advance.
Vlad
Very informative, Vlad, and I thank you! Once I receive the machine, I will indeed remove the turntable and see what, if any, number is stamped into the motor board.

Best regards,
Charlie

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

poodling around wrote:
I just had a quick look on google (actually not google but the search engine 'Duck Duck Go' which I use) and seem to have found a similar example maybe.

Although the photo is there in DDG 'images' - when I went to the website I could not see it there.

The website the photo refers to is https://picclick.co.uk/HMV-His-Masters- ... 81330.html I don't know the site - something to do with selling.

The photo reference is https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=htt ... 57.jpg&f=1

I have not copied the photo as I was concerned about copyright maybe ?

Hopefully you can click on the second link and see for you-self.

I hope that this makes sense. Most interesting as I have not seen the style of 101 either.
Most informative, and thank you!