1928 Oscar Levant Rhapsody in Blue

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

1928 Oscar Levant Rhapsody in Blue

Post by melvind »

This record is something I have owned for many years, but I have to admit I don't think I had ever listened to it. As I researched it a bit it took me by surprise. I had always assumed this was a later recording by Oscar Levant. Probably early 1940s when he came on the "scene". But, it is much more special than that. It was the first recording of Rhapsody in Blue with a pianist other than George Gershwin ever made. Recorded in November 1927 and January 1928 it was produced more or less at the same time as the electrical recording done in London by George Gershwin. There are many things about this recording I like better than either Gershwin original. I love those recordings, but they have always seemed to lack energy and I think the piano sounds very distant from the rest of the sound. This one has very clear piano even when the orchestra is playing. But, I don't always like the orchestra sound. I love all 3 recordings. But, I am happy for this new surprise, at least to me! Levant's version uses different cuts. All of the 3 first versions run about 9 minutes on two 12" 78 rpm sides. The full piece runs about 15 minutes as it is heard today.

Unfortunately my copy is a bit worn so there is some loud passage distortion especially in the first minute or two.

Anyone else know more about this recording? I'd love to know more.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRwxZCEvCFw[/youtubehd]
https://youtu.be/eRwxZCEvCFw

Victor VI

Re: 1928 Oscar Levant Rhapsody in Blue

Post by 52089 »

All I know comes from the Red Hot Jazz website, which produced this timeline of the early RIB recordings:

http://www.redhotjazz.com/rhapsody.html

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

And all I know about it is that I have been hunting for a copy since God was a child. :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

probably recorded at the same time as the Edisonians version, with Frank Banta at the piano: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRE-hx0KDmU[/youtube]

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

On the Levant it sounds as if Frank Black touched up the orchestration here and there.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

estott wrote:On the Levant it sounds as if Frank Black touched up the orchestration here and there.
It is a larger ensemble than the Whiteman original for sure. I think it is basically the Ferde Grofe Jazz Band version with extra instruments. But, it is possible the orchestration was modified as well.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Thanks 52089, for the link to the Jazz Archive. They say that the Edisonians are really the B. A. Rolfe orchestra. But my book by Allen Sutton, Pseudonyms on American Records, 1892 - 1942, c.2013, says that the Edisonians are Anthony Giammatteo's Orchestra, with Irwin Schloss conductor. (Edison) per files. I wonder who is right?

pcc1
Victor Jr

Post by pcc1 »

The Edisonians are indeed "Anthony Giammatteo's Orchestra" with Irwin Schloss conducting. Giammatteo was principal clarinettist for the Edison ensembles from 1905-06 until the company folded and was the principal contractor for Edison instrumentalists - he never actually led the orchestra, but Edison would make out a single cheque to Giammatteo and he would pay the musicians from that. Irwin Schloss led most Edison orchestral records from 1925 to 1929 save those directly credited to Carlo Peroni. The pianist on the Edisonians Rhapsody In Blue recording was Frank Banta, who plays it very stylishly, in my opinion. I believe it predates Levant's recording, having been taken on 4 November 1927 at Edison's 79 5th Avenue studio.

This also happens to be the only piano-with-orchestra recording Edison ever made.
Always listening closely, PCC

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

And... I am STILL seeking one. :?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Did he record it more than once? Now I am curious about my set, which I will play today. Many thanks for the information.