Amberola 50 Stylus height / Clearance

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victrolacollector
Victor V

Amberola 50 Stylus height / Clearance

Post by Victrolacollector »

I believe I have the reproducer height adjusted as far as it will go on my Amberola 50. However, I am just wondering how much clearance there should be between the stylus and the cylinder in the up position. I am getting about 1/16” in clearance right now. I just don’t want to damage the stylus or records.

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Amberola 50 Stylus height / Clearance

Post by NEFaurora »

I don't have the exact measurement....But it would be the same heights on the Amberola 30/50/75 Machines....

Using just a cheap common original extra Blue Amberol test cylinder...and perhaps using a not so-rare Repro cylinder as well.. Whichever one of the two cylinders is thicker or (has the most height), Use the thicker one....Put that cylinder on the mandrel. With the Lift knob in the UP position, You can actually "Eye it" and adjust the small upper hex nut on the Stylus Lift Bar looking from the right side of the machine (The side where the cylinder goes on the mandrel)...and the stylus should be adjusted high enough so that when you remove any cylinder that it does not interfere with the stylus and stylus knob in the UP position. It may take you an adjustment of one, two or even three times, but I'm confident that you'll get it..

One other method of "Eyeing" the adjustment is to look at the lower feedbar and adjust the stylus bar upper hex nut since it (the stylus bar) is also attached to the feedbar (as they are one in the same) and tighten the hex nut adjustment when the lower feedbar just comes in contact with the feedscrew. This also yields pretty good adjustment results.

Within a few tries of moving/adjusting the stylus bar up and down and tightening and re-tightening of the upper hex nut... I'm sure you'll get it... There's no brain surgery required here. Pretty simple stuff...just trial and error....and then success..

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer