Morning Glory horn restoration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
lilnipper
Victor Jr

Morning Glory horn restoration

Post by lilnipper »

Hi there,

I just purchased a morning glory horn, I'm hoping to use it for my Victor II machine, however it's fairly rusty and needs to be restored. Is that something I should attempt on my own or should I find someone who can do it for me. If so, how should I go about finding someone to repair it? Please let me know.

Thanks! :clover:

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Re: Morning Glory horn restoration

Post by lilnipper »

Or if it's something I might be able to do, how do I go about it?

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Any chance of some photos? It is really tough to paint a large horn and not make it look repainted. I've been satisfied with painting the black body on a black and brass horn. On that type of horn your eye is drawn to the bass bell.

Jerry Blais

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Jerry B. wrote:Any chance of some photos? It is really tough to paint a large horn and not make it look repainted. I've been satisfied with painting the black body on a black and brass horn. On that type of horn your eye is drawn to the bass bell.

Jerry Blais
Hi Jerry,

I would rather not paint over it if possible because it still has HMV sticker and the patent intact so I’m hoping to just remove the rust.
Attachments
4E112FB3-A512-4D46-B964-74BC823FD642.jpeg

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

Here’s another photo
Attachments
CAF093B2-8D66-427A-8C41-5B049933EF50.jpeg

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

You might use our search feature for rust removal. If you decide to repaint I'd suggest not painting around the decals. Todays decals are of such high quality, easy to apply and difficult to distinguish from originals. Jerry

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Trust your gut--DON'T paint over your original decals. Why? Well, they're original!

Polish the paint on it with Blue Magic metal polish, enjoy the originality, put it on your phonograph, and blast some records through it. That's all I'd ever do. The polish really brings out a nice lustre to old paint, and protects it. The machine's old, it's okay if it looks a little aged.

To touch up rusty spots maybe get some black spray lacquer and shoot that on there with a spray can. Then use a rag and polish it in so it matches. I did this with an Edison replica horn and now it looks like mint condition again.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Jerry B. »

Everyone has their own valid opinion on decals. If you can save an original decal and not make it look obvious that's great. When it's not well done the repaint is obvious. Of course a partial paint restoration is different than a full repaint so avoiding the decal area may be an option.

I'm curious, how many of us try to save an original banner decal on a complete cabinet refinish?

Respectfully, Jerry B.

lilnipper
Victor Jr

Post by lilnipper »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote:Trust your gut--DON'T paint over your original decals. Why? Well, they're original!

Polish the paint on it with Blue Magic metal polish, enjoy the originality, put it on your phonograph, and blast some records through it. That's all I'd ever do. The polish really brings out a nice lustre to old paint, and protects it. The machine's old, it's okay if it looks a little aged.

To touch up rusty spots maybe get some black spray lacquer and shoot that on there with a spray can. Then use a rag and polish it in so it matches. I did this with an Edison replica horn and now it looks like mint condition again.
Thank you for the advice.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Jerry B. wrote:Everyone has their own valid opinion on decals. If you can save an original decal and not make it look obvious that's great. When it's not well done the repaint is obvious. Of course a partial paint restoration is different than a full repaint so avoiding the decal area may be an option.

I'm curious, how many of us try to save an original banner decal on a complete cabinet refinish?

Respectfully, Jerry B.

My opinion is always replace the decals. I have seen too many that they tried to save and you can tell the difference in the hue of the wood around it. I have replaced the decals on my horns too. It just looks better. It is very hard to tape over an old decal and not do some more damage and the paint may not match. I use satin paint and it resembles the original. If i is not bad then all you can do is clean it. I like to leave it as original as I can also as it can only be that way once. If there is too much damage all you can do is refinish. It looks far better than something half touched up. When I look at something I have only partially finished I want to go back and do the job right It takes more work. Tom