Columbia 112A Spring Replacement, or Repair?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Zkeener323
Victor I

Columbia 112A Spring Replacement, or Repair?

Post by Zkeener323 »

A month or so back my Columbia portable stopped working while playing near the end of a wind. I finally opened the barrel up, the first Columbia I've ever done. And sure enough- not unhinged but broken about 3in (7cm) from the inner end. Should I attempt repair the end and bend a notch, or opt for a replacement. If so, any sourcing ideas and what length/width is the intended spring. I have yet to fully remove it from the barrel as it isn't a machine I typically used. Thanks for the help folks.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Columbia 112A Spring Replacement, or Repair?

Post by epigramophone »

The Columbia 112a has a Garrard No.50 motor, probably with Columbia stamped on the base. The spring measurements are 15ft6ins long and 1 inch wide.

As the break is only 3 inches from the end, a repair would not significantly reduce the motor's running time, but if you decide on a new spring "soundgen" of this forum is your man.

Zkeener323
Victor I

Post by Zkeener323 »

I appreciate the information. I may give it a whirl in repairing the spring, I've only repaired outer breaks so it will be a bit of practice in a way. You are correct, it is stamped by Columbia. I had no idea the motor was actually made by Garrard, this being my only Columbia machine has proved to be a fascinating learning experience

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Sorry to sound negative, but I think you'll find it very difficult to make a new end, (been there, tried that).For a start, you have to get enough of the central coils out to be able to heat the end to red-hot, without affecting the rest of the adjoining coils. If you did manage to do that, then the new "kink" you make in the end has to be perfectly square, and fit the groove in the winding cog exactly, or it will pop out at the first winding. The new end will also now be further away from the centre of the drum, and it's a helluva job to get it back to the centre and to stay there, which it needs to do, or it won't grip the winding gear. Plus, if it has broken once, the chances are that the spring is fragile, and will probably break again in the near future. Less trouble to just buy a new spring?

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Personally I would undergo the stress of repairing a broken spring only in case a spare part was not available and the machine was worth it. As soundgen offers very well made brand new springs, this is a case in which I would never - under no circumstances - do that.

As already said by others, the repair will probably not last very long also.