VV XI Motor Cleaning

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
mlh2809
Victor Jr

VV XI Motor Cleaning

Post by mlh2809 »

This is my first phonograph motor disassembly. I disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and lubricated a Victrola VV-XI with a double spring, double barrel this weekend. Today I am putting the motor back together. As I got all the parts together and attached to the motor base plate when I tried to wind a couple turns to test it the bull gear would not turn the worm gear. I carefully disassembled the worm gear and spring barrels from the motor baseplate and relieved the tension put on the springs during winding. I attached the spring barrels to the base plate (without the spindle/ worm gear) and wound the spring a couple of turns. The spring barrel with the bull gear turned effortlessly. I again attached the spindle/ worm gear and repeated my test and still the worm gear will not rotate with spring tension. Even with spring tension I am unable to rotate the bull gear with my hand to assist the movement.

I attached photos of my assembly and also the bull gear. This is the first motor that I have attempted to disassemble. Am I missing a key step to get the spindle/ worm gear to rotate? (Yes, the ball bearing is in the bottom of the spindle) Is my bull gear worn too much? Looking for some help and all comments are appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG (79.41 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG (92.42 KiB) Viewed 1709 times
IMG_0140.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG (103.14 KiB) Viewed 1709 times

GregVTLA
Victor III
Personal Text: Greg

Re: VV XI Motor Cleaning

Post by GregVTLA »

I don’t see the governor, I think that’s your issue. It’s a spindle with three springs on it with hemispherical weights on each spring.

mlh2809
Victor Jr

Post by mlh2809 »

I had the governor off while I was troubleshooting. I have since gotten the motor to rotate somewhat freely by lossening the screw at the bottom of the spindle. I also took the spring barrel back apart and re-greased the shaft inside the barrel. It takes some assistance to get the bull gear spinning but it will rotate the worm gear and governor. Still acting as if something is preventing it from spinning freely.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Does the spindle move freely without the bull gear? I think it may have something to do with the mesh between the two being out of adjustment, either due to a worn bearing or something else.

Also, was the motor upside down or right side up when you tested it? It's a small detail, but it might help.

Bill

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Maybe what I'm seeing in your photos is just grease, but your gears still look filthy. Again, maybe it's just grease, not dirt.

Second, you have a bad nick/burr on one tooth of the brass governor drive gear. That will stop a motor in its tracks. That needs to be carefully filed smooth. Look for burrs on the teeth of the big brass spring barrel gear as well. They are a show stopper!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by JerryVan on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

You should also try to seat the end caps better in the spring barrels. When you wind a spring, they like to twist a bit and press some on the side covers. If you're winding this, and the spring pushes on the covers, it will cause the cover to rub against the spring barrel supports and cause drag.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (36.36 KiB) Viewed 1659 times