Did the Nazi's produce 78s and other obscure questions.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Did the Nazi's produce 78s and other obscure questions.

Post by Wolfe »

Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown stuff etc. from the 1960's was pressed on 78 in certain parts of the world.

https://youtu.be/kwYYTHOO7UA

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I could be dead wrong, but my understanding has always been that 78s officially went away here in USA in 1963. I've seen some pretty late stuff pressed on USA 78s- into the very beginning of the '60s.

Part of it was, as I heard from my parents and their friends, that you were cool if you had your music on 45, and "square" if you had 78s, which were cheaper. 78s were for your parents' generation.

LPs never really were popular with teenagers probably until the very end of the 1950s. Even then, it was my era that first seriously bought "albums"... they were proof that you were a serious rock person I guess. Even then, I went for European releases (fortunately I had cousins in West Germany and Sweden!)because they had extra tracks!

Slightly OT towards the end there, but good background on why 78s and then 45s fell out of favor.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Some children's records were pressed in 78 form into the early 60's, I believe that market was the last hold out for the 78 format in the U.S. originally. Of course, there have also been numerous 'retro' one-off 78 releases in the intervening years, plus things like the Rhino Records Jukebox (box sets of 78 singles) Series in the 1980's.

The major labels started dropping the 78 format in the U.S. in the late 50's, like RCA Victor, I think about 1958 was the last of their releases, ditto for Capitol, etc.

78's in Canada were sold a little later than the U.S. Stuff like Johnny Cash (dating from when he was a Columbia artist, late 50's) was issued in Canada on 78 that never was in the U.S.

The subject of late 78's can get to be a fairly convoluted topic.

JAR
Victor II

Post by JAR »

Deutsch Grammophon, what year would this be from?
Deutsch Grammophon.jpg
JAR

JAR
Victor II

Post by JAR »

What year would this be from?

Deutsch Grammophon,
Deutsch Grammophon.jpg

JAR

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

JAR wrote:What year would this be from?

Deutsch Grammophon,
Deutsch Grammophon.jpg

JAR
Well, there's copyright registration date of Feb. 12, '47 on the label so sometime after that.

JAR
Victor II

Post by JAR »

Rare?

Jerry

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

JAR wrote:Rare?

Jerry
Not really. Somewhat scarce perhaps on just that issue but these yellow label DGG records are around out there. I have a pile of them. Very well recorded with quiet surfaces.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The sight of Herbert Von Karajan's name on that DGG label brings us neatly back to the original topic of this thread.
Because of his connections with the Nazi party, he remains a controversial figure almost 30 years after his death.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

JAR wrote:What year would this be from?

Deutsch Grammophon,
JAR
Look at the printed characters on the record surface around the label. The original recording date is printed on one of the sides. The particular issue you show is from the late forties or later, as all these yellow-labelled DGs, but DG reissued a lot of recordings from the 20s and 30s in that yellow label.

As to rarity, most of the classical music did not sell much, so this particular title may be scarce, but on the other hand such yellow DGs are plentiful in Germany and don't command high prices. In good condition, though, they are the pinnacle of recording quality in the shellac era, you will not going to find better quality 78 rpm records. DG even created a pressing technique called Variable Groove, that extended the playing time to up to 8 minutes per side of a 12-inch with no loss of sound quality.

About Karajan, he started recording in the late 30s, after the Nazis kicked out all the great maestri like Furtwangler. They had to search with a loupe to find a gifted musician that belonged to the Aryan race and was a faithful ideological member of the Nazi party. Epi, I don't think he was that controversial: He remained an openly unrepented damn Nazi until he died, rich and famous - but a gifted musician. So, JAR, if you are looking for music played by Nazi musicians,you have a sample in your hands. Just don't forget to wash them after playing ...