Columbia Grafonola 100 tonearm, help!!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Columbia Grafonola 100 tonearm, help!!

Post by Phono48 »

Lucius1958 wrote:The 'cork washer' on the bottom of the tone arm. As mentioned, you could make a thicker one to raise the tone arm, and possibly help it to sit straighter.Bill
Be careful, though, that the new cork washer is not so thick that the lid won't close, there's very little space to play with. The threaded piece of the arm should be an integral part of the elbow, fixed into the shorter of the two halves, I've never known one to come out! Yes, that is a No.15 soundbox, but again, be careful when dismantling. It should all come apart without a problem, but if anything is a bit reluctant, don't use pressure, these early No.15s are pot--metal, and relatively fragile.

tesch1932
Victor I
Personal Text: I'm Steve

Re: Columbia Grafonola 100 tonearm, help!!

Post by tesch1932 »

Phono48 wrote:
Lucius1958 wrote:The 'cork washer' on the bottom of the tone arm. As mentioned, you could make a thicker one to raise the tone arm, and possibly help it to sit straighter.Bill
Be careful, though, that the new cork washer is not so thick that the lid won't close, there's very little space to play with. The threaded piece of the arm should be an integral part of the elbow, fixed into the shorter of the two halves, I've never known one to come out!
I checked with the seller, and he told me that it was in one piece when shipped (well wrapped in bubble wrap though). I guess I'm lucky there wasn't more damage!

I will measure this evening, but I was thinking 1/16" should be sufficient (1/8th would probably be overkill) Also toying with the idea of rubber.

My very first phonograph was an Edison diamond disc with a pot metal adapter for lateral records. I cracked it, but used superglue to piece it together.... Want to avoid that for this since it is a nice machine!