Details to make new Revere Legs and Stretcher

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Details to make new Hyperion Legs and Stretcher

Post by JerryVan »

PeterF wrote:Except that the machine with Buster is not a Revere.

Look at the machine Buster is leaning on. Do you see the radio? Do you see a speaker grille? Yes, on both counts.

Look at the posted pictures of a Revere. Do you see a radio? Do you see a speaker grille? No, on both counts. Instead, if you look carefully, you see shots of the downward-firing smaller orthophonic horn (and notice that the legs have been amputated). The Revere is an acoustic phonograph, not an Electrola. It has no speaker. It has no radio. It's a Revere, which is not very much like a Hyperion, at all.

They are not the same.

So who amongst us can ID the machine Buster is leaning on, if it isn't a Hyperion? Sure looks like the one shown here (albeit called a 16-1 rather than a 15-1):

http://radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=2152
Peter,

You misunderstand. Everything you just said is exactly the point that Victor 15-1 was trying to make in his 4/9, 2:29PM posting.

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Details to make new Revere Legs and Stretcher

Post by PeterF »

Yup, got it now - I could not for the life of me figure out what was haywire with us otherwise-sane people.

Wayne's original posting shows a Revere's undercarriage, I now see, and I'm guessing the purpose of the measurements/patterns is to help revive the amputee Revere that is shown further down.

Reveres are so odd. To sound reasonably good they need to be located over a non-carpeted surface or the highs are absorbed by the fabric. I wonder whether Victor gave any instructions to that end for Revere buyers. I'll ask Bob B whether he knows, and report back.

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

Re: Details to make new Hyperion Legs and Stretcher

Post by Victrola-Monkey »

Oh my gosh... sorry folks for causing the confusion. I am constantly accidentally mixing up the names of the Revere, Hyperion, and Alhambra. I usually get it right on the second or third utterance of the name. Unfortunately I do realize things are only going to get worse for me as time passes.

Thanks Peter for texting me to address this matter. I will change the subject line to read the correct machine. I still like the Hyperion Buster Keaton picture and will print a copy for my 3 machines that are truly are Hyperions. Funny thing is two of those Hyperion’s are shorties as well and hope to get the same wood worker to turn some legs for them. So expect pictures and specs for the Hyperion legs in the future from me.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

For what it may be worth to you, I have used the following company for custom turnings. They did EXCELLENT work, at the very best price I could find anywhere. Naturally, the more you buy, the cheaper the per piece price. Be sure to have a good, dimensioned drawing for them.

Brown Wood, Inc.
253 Main Street
Yarmouth, ME 04096

1-800-671-8620

WWW.Brownwoodinc.com

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

The guy making the legs and stretcher for the guy who bought my shorty Revere earlier this year is making good progress. Here’s some photos:
Attachments
253470FA-8C6B-408D-80C5-A39E0558B335.jpeg
A353D276-C874-4D99-A8F2-A1E97D535D53.jpeg
ACB2EEA3-3F60-4FDC-B3A2-C56F6378F97F.jpeg

Victrola-Monkey
Victor III

At last, a shorty Revere stands tall once again.
Attachments
22027FA1-C92A-418D-93B2-B54AED778E71.jpeg
22027FA1-C92A-418D-93B2-B54AED778E71.jpeg (95.71 KiB) Viewed 1217 times

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wow! That's beautiful work! Good job saving a cool machine!

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Another one doesn't bite the dust! And awesome electric fan next to it. Very 1920s seeing them next to each other!