Lyre Phone?

Post by CarlosV »

Attachments
Morel Orphee.jpg

tomb
Victor IV

Re: Lyre Phone?

Post by tomb »

That is one heck of a fake for over $ 5000.00 usd. He kept saying it is absolutely original. I think it is an original. If I brought it for that price and it was fake I think I would take the first plane there and put it where the sun does not shine. It is a weird item but I do not know anything about that type of phonograph so it would have to be authenticated before cash is exchanged. Tom

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

It might well be an original, odd machine. However, the crank looks suspiciously long to be original...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Are you suggesting it's really a Liar Phone? :)

The tone arm and its support looks like a mish-mosh of plumbing parts. Otherwise, it tends to look legitimate, even has a dealer tag, (which could have come from anything I guess). Oh, the spindle hole in the motor board makes me question things too. Looks like it was done with a spoon.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

JerryVan wrote:Are you suggesting it's really a Liar Phone? :)

The tone arm and its support looks like a mish-mosh of plumbing parts. Otherwise, it tends to look legitimate, even has a dealer tag, (which could have come from anything I guess). Oh, the spindle hole in the motor board makes me question things too. Looks like it was done with a spoon.
I'm leaning towards a genuine case, and possibly an original arm which was repaired by a handyman.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Almost certainly original , the soundbox is A Morelophone , and the whole gramophone looks very similar to a Pathé Jeunesse , Pathé cases can be pretty crude re the fitting holes
Attachments
amorelophone.jpg
amorelophone.jpg (77.92 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
amorelophone1.jpg
amorelophone2.jpg
amorelophone2.jpg (17.56 KiB) Viewed 1527 times

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

soundgen wrote:Almost certainly original , the soundbox is A Morelophone , and the whole gramophone looks very similar to a Pathé Jeunesse , Pathé cases can be pretty crude re the fitting holes
The finding of the advertisement is revealing, thanks. I agree with you, it is probably genuine, apart from the dodgy crank. If its price were 20 or 30 times lower I would consider buying it ...

I would not call the Jeunesse crude though, it looks nice, it is well finished and is actually quite smartly done, with a single control for ON/OFF and speed and surprisingly loud for such small machine. Some other Pathé models like the budget Omnibus line and the later pathephones are of lower quality, even though they they kept alternating these cheap ones with high quality machines throughout their production period.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

CarlosV wrote: If its price were 20 or 30 times lower I would consider buying it ...

:D :D :D :D yes it would sell immediately

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

You can see marks on the crank shaft where the escutcheon ring has rubbed the plating off. It could be possible that the crank is just not pushed to its place? Probably just a wrong crank....

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

As shown in this closeup...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 1.27.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 1.27.15 PM.png (368.33 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife