Modified stylus on H reproducer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Herman
Victor II

Modified stylus on H reproducer

Post by Herman »

Here is another of my projects I did some years ago. I modified the H reproducer with attached conical stylus to the bar.The tip of the bar is filed flat so that the base of the stylus sits level on the bar. Left a bit of the arm from the replacement stylus so it could be epoxied to the H bar. This has played hundreds of times with no visible wear to the stylus or records. Plays louder and clearer than the original H stylus. Sent one to Steve Medved for evaluation and he was quite impressed. The stylus were sold several years ago by Bill Tarling who has passed and was a valuable member of the Canadian Antique Phonograph club. I bought approx 50pcs at the club's auction. The stylus is Philips Normal Groove part # 49.945.90

Edit: Also works well on the Columbia Lyric reproducer for playing Indestructible cylinders.
Attachments
h2.jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Modified stylus on H reproducer

Post by PeterF »

Is the tip sapphire, or some other material?

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

PeterF wrote:Is the tip sapphire, or some other material?

I tried to find data on the tip but did not come up with anything but I am 98% sure it is sapphire.

Herman
Victor II

Post by Herman »

Herman wrote:
PeterF wrote:Is the tip sapphire, or some other material?

I tried to find data on the tip but did not come up with anything but I am 98% sure it is sapphire.
You had me searching again. From what I can gather the stylus is replacement for Philips AG-3010 cartridge.
The Normal groove had a sapphire stylus while the micro groove was diamond, thus I conclude this is sapphire.