Edison Suitcase Crank?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fonograph
Victor II

Edison Suitcase Crank?

Post by fonograph »

I got this same crank with a suitcase standard but I've never seen this type before. Anybody know what it fits or if it is for an Edison machine at all?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-ORIGINAL ... %7Ciid%3A1
Attachments
crank.pdf
(496.89 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Edison Suitcase Crank?

Post by phonogfp »

That's a crank for a suitcase Standard.

George P.

fonograph
Victor II

Post by fonograph »

Thanks George. The only one I've seen is the s-type with the hole thru the shaft.
Bob

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I believe that all suitcase Standards were equipped with the crank pictured, while the S-shaped crank appeared with the New Style Cabinets in 1901.

George P.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

That's interesting because I have a 4 clip Model A Standard, S/N 22,XXX. The earlier crank shown does not fit. The S shaped crank, does fit. Does anyone think the earlier motor may have been swapped the a later Model A Standard motor? This has been bugging me for the past several years.
Harvey Kravitz

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

It may be possible to swap the shaft only on a 2/4 latch for a later new case shaft. That would make it fit only the larger diameter crank. I am sure about the length though. George I think I have a S crank that only fits the smaller 2/4 latch phonographs. . I will check tomorrow when I get back into town. That was a good buy for that crank for $ 90.00 .. I had a reproduction badged crank made by Wyatt. It is unusual and not standard but looks good on the phonograph. I will get some pictures and check what fits. Tom

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

you are right as usual George My bad. The curved crank was the one I had made for me by Wyatt. I have 5 straight, one curved reproduction and two regular standard cranks in the square cases. I need to buy two more straights but the normally run around $ 200.00 . I will bide my time .
Tom

Phonolair
Victor III

Post by Phonolair »

Phonofreak wrote:That's interesting because I have a 4 clip Model A Standard, S/N 22,XXX. The earlier crank shown does not fit. The S shaped crank, does fit. Does anyone think the earlier motor may have been swapped the a later Model A Standard motor? This has been bugging me for the past several years.
Harvey Kravitz
Harvey I'm guessing you have the correct motor in your 4 clip Standard, you just haven't found the correct crank yet.

The late 2 clip, 4 clip and new case Standard A have a 5/16" winding shaft. The suitcase models using the straight crank and the new case Standard using the S shape.
So if the S crank fits your 4 clip than a straight crank for the late 2 clip and 4 clip will fit also.

I suspect the straight crank you tried that did not fit was for a early 2 clip suitcase that uses a ¼" winding shaft. Although both early and late straight cranks look the same the holes for the winding shaft are different, ¼" & 5/16".

The early ¼" 2 clip suitcase crank will not fit a late 2 clip or 4 clip which needs a 5/16" crank.

Larry Crandell

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Phonolair wrote:
Phonofreak wrote:That's interesting because I have a 4 clip Model A Standard, S/N 22,XXX. The earlier crank shown does not fit. The S shaped crank, does fit. Does anyone think the earlier motor may have been swapped the a later Model A Standard motor? This has been bugging me for the past several years.
Harvey Kravitz
Harvey I'm guessing you have the correct motor in your 4 clip Standard, you just haven't found the correct crank yet.

The late 2 clip, 4 clip and new case Standard A have a 5/16" winding shaft. The suitcase models using the straight crank and the new case Standard using the S shape.
So if the S crank fits your 4 clip than a straight crank for the late 2 clip and 4 clip will fit also.

I suspect the straight crank you tried that did not fit was for a early 2 clip suitcase that uses a ¼" winding shaft. Although both early and late straight cranks look the same the holes for the winding shaft are different, ¼" & 5/16".

The early ¼" 2 clip suitcase crank will not fit a late 2 clip or 4 clip which needs a 5/16" crank.

Larry Crandell
Larry do you have any estimates on when they went from ¼ to the 5/16 size crank. I have a two latch . s/n 2198. This one does not have the gear cover and takes a one screw carriage. I did not realize the difference in size. I guess I need to measure the shafts. Tom

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Some later 4 clip motors will only fit the S-type cranks. It was probably a reaction to the fragile, easily broken, early cranks and a logical progression to the last style of model A motors. I've seen and noted a few of these in my data sheet. I think it was mostly the ones made in 1901. Because of that, I wouldn't start swapping out what may be correct and original. HTH.

Martin