SOLD: SING SING SING Album Set from 1937 $100

Buy, sell, or trade your phonograph-related items here [except music]
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: SOLD: SING SING SING Album Set from 1937 $100

Post by gramophone-georg »

Maybe Brandon can split this topic off and put it "in music" for further discussion.

Speaking of great Berigan sides... check this out from 1931 with Hal Kemp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaa_yX5_Ulg

There is some controversy as to whether this is Berigan or not... in fact, Rust doesn't even mention this record in the "Jazz" book, but it is most definitely jazz, and it sounds like Berigan to me and other Berigan collectors as well.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Viva-voce wrote:What a fun and interesting discussion :)
It's very curious that Victor re-released recordings in the 1940's of Caruso as dubs, for example--and I'm not referring to electric orchestra "recreations"--yet they concurrently re-released others pressed from original parts--some of these still carried the original catalogue numbers assigned in the 1920's when Victor began issuing them on double-sided discs, while some others carried new catalogue numbers even though they were pressed from original parts.

Also, during the 1930's and 40's Victor provided a special service whereby customers could order custom pressings of older recordings pressed from original parts--these were privately sold with white labels bearing the old batwing Victrola label design,
with the recording info typewritten on the labels. These are usually superior quality pressings--but this service did not come cheap!

Steven
I have some of those typewritten white label issues. I haven't noticed any better quality to the pressings, actually, but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

All the ones I've seen are single face.

Common modern legend about these pressings these days among collectors seems to be that they are "test pressings"... which they are not. I always understood them to be custom repressings of sides dropped from the general Victor catalog. It must have been a popular service since I've seen quite a few of these.

After all, in those days, if you dropped and shattered a cherished record you couldn't exactly go on eBay and find a copy if it wasn't offered in the current catalog.

Incidentally, there WAS a higher quality pressing offered in the 1933-36 period... marked with a "Z" in the runout on classical issues.

Also, in my piles of stuff somewhere, I have a common 10" black scroll popular issue (maybe it's Shilkret or Leo Reisman) that is branded as "Victrola" rather than "Victor". Someone goofed on that one!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

So I remembered I have the Berigan 10 " Memorial Album, for easier access. the I Can't Get Started in that set is the 'edited' one. The grooves on this particular copy come up to about ½ inch from the label, so it's defintely a different cutting to the Victor pictured a few posts back.

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

If this set is going for $100 these days, then I will baby mine (I think I paid $20 or so in the earlier 2000s).
Adam

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I got my Symposium of Swing set in decent shape for like a $ 1.50 10 or 12 years ago. They turn up from time to time.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

It's funny but if you post "Sing Sing Sing" for sale alone out of that set it goes nuts. Makes me wonder how many sets have been broken up for that reason. I had this set and an original NM store stock first issue gold print set that I just HAD to have. I am embarrassed to say what I paid for my first issue set but the first issues are damn tough to find in any condition, let alone NOS store stock!

beaumonde
Victor III

Post by beaumonde »

gramophone-georg wrote:Maybe Brandon can split this topic off and put it "in music" for further discussion.

There is some controversy as to whether this is Berigan or not... in fact, Rust doesn't even mention this record in the "Jazz" book, but it is most definitely jazz, and it sounds like Berigan to me and other Berigan collectors as well.
Ya, to me too. Thanks for the link -- 1930-33 is my favorite period of Hal Kemp recordings, and all too scarce in nice shape. I remember getting my only copy of Forty Second St/Shuffle Off to Buffalo from you years ago!
Adam

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

beaumonde wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:Maybe Brandon can split this topic off and put it "in music" for further discussion.

Ya, to me too. Thanks for the link -- 1930-33 is my favorite period of Hal Kemp recordings, and all too scarce in nice shape. I remember getting my only copy of Forty Second St/Shuffle Off to Buffalo from you years ago!
Yes, the good old eBay days. :lol:

I still have my other copy of that one. It's a great record! It's also the latest Kemp disc I own. Later records seem to lack the heat of the earlier Kemps.