Edison Home information

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Columbia78
Victor I

Edison Home information

Post by Columbia78 »

I brought home an Edison Home phonograph today, and am trying to figure out what I need to do to it. From the looks of things, the top works (don't know the proper name for that) needs to be slid to one side because the belt doesn't come out of the case straight. Seems like there is room for adjustment. Seems to be fairly complete from what I can tell. Has an old looking slightly beat up horn. Could be an original, or a beat up repro I guess. The serial number is H127808, and a last patent date of Nov 17, 1903.

I have never seen this model in the "flesh" before, so pardon my lack of knowledge. It seems to have a small shaving attachment in place as well.

I'm happy to have found this at a reasonable price, now to get it working properly and figure out when it was made.
Attachments
E5060082_1.JPG
E5060098_1---.JPG
E5060097_1---.JPG
E5060096_1---.JPG
E5060093_1---.JPG
E5060091_1----.JPG
E5060084_1----.JPG

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Re: Edison Home information

Post by Ripduf1 »

Hi,
I believe your horn to be an original that was repainted and lacquered, nobody decided to have the dents removed. Others more knowledgeable about Edison Home machines can provide other data points to the questions you have. John
Horns rolled and straightened

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

You have an Edison Model A Home. It's a two minute machine and it's nice to see that the shaver is still there. Collectors refer to your machine as a "long green Home." It should have a slotted crank. The horn looks like an original to me. I'd guess a date from about 1903. Jerry Blais

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Columbia78 just dropped off this machine so I could tune it up for him. What a nice machine!! Better in person than in the pics. Beautiful original finish and decal-- Horn is original paint with one very small area that was touched up. It's been quite awhile since I've seen an original machine this nice-- It will be fun to work on. Edisons are my favorite!

Brad Abell

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

I have Home #120840, which dates to late 1904, according to gfp's factory lists. Yours is probably early 1905.

The pulleys are definitely out of alignment: You can either move the top works (yes, that's the term) to the left, or move the lower pulley to the right, or a little of both.

Bill

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Bill's right - - according to Edison sales data, Home No.127808 left the factory about March 1905.

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

That is a nice Home A. The pen striping looks great. To adjust the angle on the belt you will need to loosen the large screw on each side. Slide the top part back till the belt is straight then retighten the large screw on each side. During transportation it could have slipped but the repair is not hard. There are washers and rubber insulators underneath the screw head. They have a flat side that goes against the body. Make sure they stay straight and the flat side is against the body. They will slip but after the belt is in place you can loosen the screw up and straighten them Tom

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

outune wrote:Columbia78 just dropped off this machine so I could tune it up for him. What a nice machine!! Better in person than in the pics. Beautiful original finish and decal-- Horn is original paint with one very small area that was touched up. It's been quite awhile since I've seen an original machine this nice-- It will be fun to work on. Edisons are my favorite!

Brad Abell
I know the machine is in good hands now that Brad Abell has it. I'm looking forward to seeing it after he works his magic.

Thanks, Brad---

Jim Thomas

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Thanks Jim- It was great seeing you again... Not much "magic" needed on this machine-- It is sweet. Motor is quiet, bedplate really nice, case and lid are outstanding... A few minor adjustments and a reproducer rebuild and you'll be ready to go. This one's a keeper... John Duffy could make your horn look like new... I'll be in touch later this week.

Brad

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Ripduf1 wrote:Hi,
I believe your horn to be an original that was repainted and lacquered, nobody decided to have the dents removed. Others more knowledgeable about Edison Home machines can provide other data points to the questions you have. John
John, tell me more about what you could do with this horn, and approximate cost?

Thank you,

Jim