German grammophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
aledg1982
Victor Jr

Re: German grammophone

Post by aledg1982 »

The really strange thing that everything seems to be appropriate and genuine, with no adaptations

aledg1982
Victor Jr

Post by aledg1982 »

Maybe in this picture you can appreciate better the horn (I changed the soundbox)
Attachments
20180428_133513.jpg

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

Many older restored, pre-internet era, machines suffer from wrong parts down to smallest details. Like US and British made machines here in continental Europe where I live, have been ”restored” back together with metric screws and vice versa. Countless are the Exhibition soundboxes that I have seen tapped for a metric needle screw... :evil:
So, when I see a machine with a motor missing a governor weight, broken mica, seized crank and rusted horn, I know that most likelly I have found an all correct parts machine. :) To me an original worn out paint on a horn and an original scruffy finish with partly worn out decal on the cabinet is always more valuable than a re-finish.
Was the soundbox you removed from the machine a Thorens Primaphone? The turntable platter and the speed control look like they are from a later portable. Is there any markings underneath the platter? That horn surely is very glossy! Personally I would strip it and paint in a more subtle colour scheme with a matt finish. Your tonearm goose neck is on the wrong side!
Last edited by Jaso on Tue May 08, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aledg1982
Victor Jr

Post by aledg1982 »

Yes the soundbox is a Primaphone. No details under the plate. Thank you!
I agree for the speed regulator, which is printed and not carved. The components are quite in order, the handle is wooden and I replaced the tonearm by finding the appropriate one on the internet because it was badly glued. I found the correct one that fits the original screw!!

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

Tonearm badly glued? Could you send close up pictures of the parts that came with it and your replacements parts? Also better pictures of the motor and the back bracket would help.

aledg1982
Victor Jr

Post by aledg1982 »

Sorry, I don't know how you say in english when an iron part is glued to another iron part. The tonearm has a ring in which the screw was inserted, and this ring was broken and "glued". I found an identical tonearm and I replaced it. Here is a picture of the case without the plate:
Attachments
20180508_211913.jpg

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

Can you take a photos of the broken tonearm and the motor? The more detailed pictures, the easier it is for us to tell what you might have there. :)
The curvy part(gooseneck) attached to the soundbox is the wrong way. The soundbox should be facing the opposite direction.
Attachments
C6DB3D99-1175-4C72-BAC9-CA8357AA815A.jpeg
Last edited by Jaso on Tue May 08, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aledg1982
Victor Jr

Post by aledg1982 »

Yes I know, I moved it just to take the picture. This is the bracket with the screw:
Attachments
20180128_151233.jpg
20180128_151233.jpg (74.76 KiB) Viewed 1327 times

aledg1982
Victor Jr

Post by aledg1982 »

The tonearm:
Attachments
20180508_214353.jpg

aledg1982
Victor Jr

Post by aledg1982 »

I have no more pictures of the motor because a friend who fix old clocks is trying to look at it because one of the springs has broken.

I understand what you say about the right side of the soundbox, tomorrow I will try to fix it

Edit: no way to change the side of the soundbox. The "original" tonearm was broken in half and welded (now I know the word!!) in order to have the soundbox in the side as you say. With this tonearm the soundbox must stay in this position. But I ensure they are the same tonearm because it is a rare tonearm with this ring and I spent months in order to find a new one that could fit, on eBay